8 - SEEKING COMFORT

There was a strange pain in her heart that night and nothing could make it fade away. Juliette Allen, who was no Allen at all, had tried soothing her heartache with reading old novels her mother had once kept by her beside table and when that did not work, she had moved to drowning her thoughts in reruns of 90s classic television shows, but alas, that did not work either. Sadly, she was left alone in her creaking apartment because Blair Suen had chosen the one night to actually go out on a date with somebody from her work, leaving poor Juliette alone. Even her wild neighbour, Lillian Peters had been out for the night. As it seemed, the girl was alone on the one night she particularly did not want to be alone on. 

She tried to find the irony in that, but it did not bring a smile to her lips, not with the shocking reveal that had just been dumped upon her shoulders today. As the long hours ticked on, her mind kept on racing and her teeth buried deep into the flesh of her cheek, leaving an unpleasant taste of blood in her mouth. There was a restless feeling in her soul, wanting, needing somebody to sooth her worries and tell her, that maybe everything would be alright. Even if that was a blunt lie. With only one person in mind, she was grabbing her mobile phone and dialling a familiar number. 

***

Her hand curled up into a tight fist before knocking twice on the wooden door. She brushed her fair blonde hair from her eyes, wondering if this was a bad idea. When she had called Foggy Nelson, he had been three drinks deep into a drunken night that he had handed over Matthew Murdock's address without question. But now, as Juliette stood in front of his door, waiting for him to pull open his front door, she felt nervous. She had not known him all that long, and honestly, he was just her lawyer. But her mind kept on falling back to that night he had somewhat comforted her in the church, the night her cheeks had been soaked and her heart breaking. He had offered her a tissue, and given her hope. Right now, this girl needed nothing more than comfort and hope. 

There was a rustling from inside, almost like something had been knocked over and Juliette was frowning quickly, but then the door was yanked open, Matthew Murdock standing in the threshold with a hoodie zipped up over his bare chest. He was not wearing his classic red tinted glasses and a bruise was forming under his eyes. The very sight of his careless attire, rather messy, caught Juliette by surprise. 

"Juliette, uh, hello." Matthew was quite surprised himself with her standing at his doorstep. He had not seen her since earlier today, and did not expect to see her again so soon. Foggy and himself had dumped a bombshell on her, declaring her father was not her real father. He assumed she would need time to process the matter, but no, here she stood. 

The blonde girl paused, a little lost for words now he was standing before her. "Hi, gosh I'm sorry. This seems so strange now that you're actually home. I got your address from Foggy, he was quite drunk, and now I realise I took advantage of him somehow," The words poured from her lips, "But I've been sitting at home alone, wallowing in self-pity, wondering how my life has suddenly blown up...I just didn't want to be alone."

Although, Matthew Murdock could not see her face, he felt the sadness and confusion coming off her in waves. He could not begin to imagine how she was feeling, suddenly finding out her whole life was an utter lie now. It seemed though, the timing was indeed perfect, fate working in a strange way tonight. Only minutes before, he had been out in the cold streets and defending the city he loved from a man he was committed to taking down. His body was bruised, his muscles tired but with a slight smile, he was pushing his door open further. "Come in, of course." He was saying smoothly, "Foggy's known to be very chatty, especially when he's been drinking, you did not take advantage of him."

Juliette felt her heart relax in its bone cage and moved passed him, her shoulder skimming his chest while doing so, something she had not intended. Slowly, her eyes ran the length of his small apartment, noticing how clean and put together it all seemed. "Oh, good. I didn't want you thinking I went around taking advantage of men in drunken states for sport. Usually, I just wait until they're passed out before taking my tip from their wallet."

Thankfully, Matthew had picked up on her joke and laughed sweetly. He strayed into the living room and away from the hallway, his hand firmly on the kitchen countertop, keeping his sense about him. The door had slammed shut, a strange echo in the apartment now. He knew Juliette was scanning his little apartment, maybe trying to gain underlying knowledge about him with how he lived. He was just hoping she didn't spot the splatter of his own blood smeared near the fire escape entrance from where he had tumbled in from another unsuccessful night in finding out the truth about Wilson Fisk. She did not. "I am very sorry about today, we usually don't enjoy telling clients that their case is--"

"Nothing but a lie?" Juliette hummed out, untangling her purse from her shoulder and setting it down and wandering over to the windows, staring down at the darkened alleyway below. Sometimes, it still sent a jolt of shock that she lived in the dampened and somewhat poor neighbourhood rather than her old house on the Upper East side. Matthew sucked in a deep breath with her chosen words, "I'm sorry, that was...it was just a shock. I've always been proud to be an Allen, but now, everything feels different."

Tears stung her eyes, wanting to fall. The tightness in her chest flared around and on shaky legs, she moved back to the low lounge and sunk against the cool material. Matthew heard her move, already knowing where she was headed. Slowly, he found himself joining her and listening to her soft breathing. "Juliette--" He began softly.

"Mark O'Harris, that's my father." She admitted with a tear spilling down her cheek. She had her suspicions that Matthew Murdock and Foggy Nelson might have known that already, but were too polite to mention it today, but she figured they should know the truth either way. They were her lawyers, and this did change her case now. "My life is a lie, you know? I-I just, it hurts and I can't even be mad at my mother for hiding it, for keeping it from me, because she's dead."

Her body slummed forward, her strength drying up. She had been brave today, a new fire burning in her heart when she had confronted Mark earlier and threatened him, but that bravely had faded now. All that was left was her breaking heart. Matthew was hesitant, but laid a palm over his thigh, hoping to show her the comfort she desperately needed right now. He had made her a promise, that he would help her and he was determined to do so. "No matter what, this changes nothing, Juliette Allen." He whispered, feeling her warm skin and pushing away stray thoughts. "We will avenge your parents and one day, that burning pain in your chest will run cold."

His words ran true, one day the burning pain in her heart would turn cold, but so would her blood.