11 - FOR THE NIGHT IS DARK

Candles flickered in the shadows of the church, filling the darkness that roared to life in Juliette Allen's heart, something she feared could drag her down into the fiery pits of Hell. Her best friends's words had been swirling around in her head for days now, just worries that she might get hurt, that something could go wrong with her seeking revenge, justice, on her true father. She wanted her revenge to be pure, to be good, but was any revenge actually good and pure? 

"Forgive me Father, for I have sinned."

The confessional was small but thankfully, enough light shined down on Juliette Allen that the shadows didn't claw at her. "What is it that bothers you, child of God?" 

Juliette had struggled with herself for days, something that had burdened her mind. For so long, she was set upon doing goodness, to walk along the path of lightness. But deep within her heart, a terrible pain for revenge haunted her, begged her to do what must be done to receive justice for her parents, and lately, that darkness called louder. "I haven't sinned, not yet." She confessed quietly to somebody that would just listen and would not judge. "But I feel the urge to, and maybe that's just as worse."

"There is a difference between the two, yes. All humans feel the urge to sin, it's only natural because we're not perfect beings. It's what one does with that temptation, whether you turn to the darkness, or stay on the path." The Father noted quietly, truth seeping through his lips. "What is it you fear you will sin for?"

The Allen girl hesitated, so many things running through her head. Years ago, she had never stepped in foot in a church, not until the day her parents passed away. She had never valued anything higher than herself, never thought religion could save her. But darkness had come, and somehow, her faith changed and somebody, or something, pulled her through. She believed that was God himself, something not everybody in the world would agree with, but it did not matter, because she believed. With the Father's question, her heart began to race. There were far more sinister things in her heart today, more than just wanting to seek revenge for her parents. "There is a terrible man, he's done harm to my family, to me. I want him to pay for everything. I want him to feel the pain that I've lived with, I want him..." She couldn't say the word out loud. Dead. "I just want him to pay and I'm afraid I'll do anything to get that revenge, that justice." 

Silence stirred in the confessional, Juliette worrying that she had said too much. "You must strive to do what is right in your heart, child. That temptation to destroy, is only human. All your fears, they are just that. Fears. You can overcome fear, with help. Seek guidance in Him. He'll show you the path." The Father paused, thinking for a moment. "There is a difference between revenge and justice, which one your heart seeks must be determined."

"Thank you, Father."

Juliette felt her fingertips touch the crucifix hanging around her neck, sending a quiet prayer up to the Heavens that she was strong enough to face what storm was racing towards her. "Is there anything else troubling you?" 

That made her mind stop, "Um, there's a man." Her voice was awfully quiet, not quite sure why she was admitting this out loud considering it had only whispered to her at nights when she could not sleep. "I haven't...been with anyone in a very long time, but he's something else and I find myself drawn to him in that way. He's somebody that doesn't make the night so dark anymore, and that's something I didn't know I needed."

She found herself smiling with the very mention of Matthew Murdock, unaware that whenever she did think about him, or speak about him, a lightness shined in her eyes. "It is not a sin to love, child. Love opens the heart, it's a good thing." Juliette dipped her head, hiding her smile. "I sense you've been closed off for too long, let love in. God created love to be shared. Remember that, dear child."

*** 

Josie's Bar was quiet the following night, the hour ticking towards midnight and Juliette Allen found her body growing tired. She had been working most of the night, stacking shot glasses and serving drinks to men that grew drunker with each passing moment. The group of men were extra rowdy tonight, something that did not sit well with her. A few men had actually slapped her behind, sneering crude comments in her ear before she was slapping their hands away and shooting them a glare before hurrying back behind the bar, weirdly her safe place. 

"Are you all good out here while I grab something from the storeroom? We're running low on Bourbon." Josie asked loudly, music hammering through the dukebox. Juliette's eyes were landing across at two men sitting at the bar. But she didn't get to voice her opinion before Josie was gone from sight and she went back to wiping down the sticky bench and restocking the bottled beers. 

She kept her hands busy and her mind numb, but she could feel eyes on her. She hated how her skin crawled with the men's taunting gazes. After she served another regular, her eyes rounded back on the men, seeing them staring at her but thankfully, her attention snapped and she found Matthew Murdock sitting at the bar, alongside Karen Page. "You two look lonely without Foggy." Juliette grinned over at her friends, pouring a few fresh drinks for them both, knowing their usual orders.

Matthew was already smiling too, just hearing her voice. "He's busy tonight." 

"Another date," Karen joined in, taking a sip of her drink. 

Juliette laughed quietly, her eyes swinging back across the bar once again. The men were still there, talking quietly. Matthew could hear the off beat of her heart, knowing something was wrong tonight with the Allen girl. His head tilted slightly, his senses spiking and he could hear the low murmuring of the men, their words making his jawline clench. "Are they bothering you?" He asked quickly.

Karen's head swung around, noticing the men now. Juliette gave a tiny shrug of her shoulders, leaning over the bar and plucking an empty glass and a few dollar bills in tips being pushing into her back pocket. She wasn't sure how Matthew had known, but she was almost thankful somebody had noticed too, and that it wasn't just in her head tonight. "Um, not exactly. I mean, just usual drunken men things."

Matthew could tell she was lying, he could hear it in her voice, in her heartbeat. He knew better too, he know it wasn't just harmless drunken men things because he could hear them talking about her and how they knew she was that Allen darling from the recent newspaper articles. The very way these men spoke about her, had his anger stirring. "Do you mind if I walk you home tonight?" The question slipping from his tongue had her pausing, her mind reeling. Even Karen Page was trying to hide a smile with his words. 

Juliette pushed some curly hair behind her ear, "I finish in about an hour, you don't have to wait around or anything."

"I want to." 

She smiled, her teeth digging into her bottom lip. "Well, okay. Sure." Her gaze rested back on the men watching her, her heart twisting. Suddenly, she was very thankful for the offer tonight, beccausne right now, she didn't want to walk the streets of Hell's Kitchen alone. "Thanks, Matt."