4 - OLD CHURCHES

Something about being in a church calmed Juliette Allen down, she was not sure why, maybe it was just the peacefulness she found there. Sitting in a pew, candle light dancing around her in the shadows, quiet people from all walks of life coming to seek guidance, just calmed down her racing mind and stilled her breaking heart.

She had not always been religious, it was something she had turned to in the darkest days of her life, when all hope was lost and she found herself walking through New York City utterly alone with a fear striking through her whole body, a fear that still rested in her soul, even today. Despite the years turning, the pain fading from losing her parents and honestly, everything she ever knew in life, she would always come and sit in peace, looking for somebody to help her through the darkness. She had found hope in religion, something she once upon a time thought was utterly factious. Growing up around men who only believed in money and wealth, never seeking guidance from something bigger than themselves, had tainted her view on the world and how some people believed in something more. Now once her life was turned upside down, everything about her old life turning to fire, then ash, she needed something that would provide hope, maybe even answers for what her life had become with one tragic accident.

Lifting her head upwards, her fingertips gripping the crucifix necklace dangling at the base of her throat, she recited a prayer, one she did so often, it was carved into her mind. Slowly, she gathered her bag, swinging it over her shoulder and heading to the very end of the church, glancing upon the statue depicting Jesus Christ nailed to the cross. A priest hurried by, dipping his head towards her in a respectful greeting. Carefully, she stepped towards the alter, lighting a single candle and watching the flame dance as she uttered a quiet prayer, once again. "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen."

For a long still moment, Juliette waited in the church, watching that candle flicker with hope, with a new calmness that was washing over her. For so long, she had been lost and that was a fear rooted in her soul, that she would never move on with her life. She feared she would never be anything more than the dull, rich, bratty girl who had lost everything years ago. She did not want to be Juliette Allen, the daughter of rich and power people, a girl who was nothing more than a socialite. But lately, that hope was becoming bright in her heart, despite the anniversary of her loss coming soon. Just maybe, this pure soul, would indeed find her hope.

When she was finally ready to leave, her attention snapped when she heard a somewhat familiar voice echoing through the old church. Standing in the shadows were two men, chatting quietly. She knew both these men. Father Lantom, a man who had offered her guidance many times before. The other man, was in fact, Matthew Murdock. Strangely, her stomach twisted with the very sight of him, wonder already playing on her mind. She had only seen Matthew at the bar, always there in the late evening with his friend playing pool or sitting at a back table, always huddled together. She had briefly spoken to him on a number of occasions but lately, she had found herself actually watching the bar door, in hopes tonight, those two lawyers would wander back in and she could see his face and hear his voice. It was strange how she had grown so intrigued by him in such a short time.

Juliette stayed in the shadows, watching them carefully. She was mostly surprised to find him in a church. From personal experience, lawyers usually did not turn to religion, not the men she knew anyway. She rather liked how Matthew Murdock, was apparently, a very religious man. It sparked her interest in him even more, knowing they were the same in that regard. When Father Lantom had given him all the advice he needed today, he was leaving the church, his white cane clinking against the flooring as he disappeared back into the bright sunlight from outside.

Seeing him in her own church, although seemingly harmless and merely accidentally, stirred something in her soul and she liked that feeling. Little did she know, she would meet him again in this very church and that would be the beginning of their short lived story. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This chapter really introduced Jules as religious, something I've mentioned before but really haven't dived deep into yet. Some readers may not connect with her on that level but it's something I do not want any disrespect about and if anybody leaves rude and stupid comments about any religion, they will have me to deal with and I'm not playing friendly with this topic. It's something pure about her, something that makes her Juliette Allen. It's something she shares with Matt in future chapters, something that also brings them together.

On a different matter, I was originally going to follow the seasons storylines but I've been turning away from doing that lately and decided that Church Bells will become more AU, despite elements and characters will still come into play. Focusing more on Juliette's storyline and relationships makes it easier to update, and well, we've seen the show, we don't need a recap of everything that happened. I really hope you'll all enjoy what I've got planned, it's gonna' be heartbreaking trust me.

- tinkertaydust