Nothing More Terribly Beautiful... Ch.29

Start from the beginning

He left her standing at the entrance of the door, listening as she sniffled and wiped at her face.

As he walked, the idea of her skipped around his head.

He smiled.

He had found something appealing in the girl.

Something in the way that when he turned, he would find that she had stiffened her emotions again into a dull suffering, walking calmly though he knew she longed to scream, to run, to cry, to scream. And still she would turn up to him with a pallid pale face, though her eyes teared and were chaotic storms behind films of tears.

She was a soul too gentle with a heart painted in emotion too strong to calm.

*

The group gathered up their things, tying their shoes on securely and stretching before they set out to their sprint.

Brin had joined them, spilling her guts about everything and sobbing the first second she woke up. He would usually be furious---she had deceived them--she had inched her way into their group, and betrayed them.

But it didn't matter right now.

All that mattered was Cyan.

And if she was going to help, she was welcome.

Brin stretched, touching her toes, while Zethan turned to their left. There was a large brush of trees, looking dark and ominous--though nothing moved.

"Zethan." Rine shook his shoulder, turning to the forest.

She paused.

Virg noticed the two start to tense, and pulled Rine along.

"What are you two looking at? There's nothing there."

Rine stared up at Zethan, her hand gripping his arm.

"Is it what I think it is?" She said, her voice slightly shaking.

His blood ran cold in terror.

Oh, how he feared and loathed them!

"---Run." His voice shook. "Run!!"

They sprinted away---the shadow bursting from the forest just as Zethan suspected.

Myster's, Brin's, and Virg's head spun back---staring at the monster.

It was tall and thin--its back hunched though it's legs ran fast--shaped into the legs of a goat--its arms muscly and clawed----Its jaw protruded out with fangs in its long chin--

Its eyes were wide like that of an owl, its neck skinny and its head horned to look like a demon.

It screeched hard--its scream shrieking in their ears.

It was larger than what he remembered. Towering about a foot taller---its muscly body was as dark as the night---making it hard to see in the eternal dark of Avalon.

Zethan growled at Myster, Brin, and Virg---

"Fucking run!! If you keep looking back you'll be caught!!" He hissed.

He scooped Rine up into his arms--ordering everyone to run faster as the Nighter started to gain on them.

These Nighters were faster.