Feeding Ghosts ch.15

*

Cyan felt the rushing flow stream by her body, pulling her downwards fast. It was so deathly cold, cold enough to make her doubt it was in fact water surrounding her, and not a freezing abyss drained of oxygen.

She blinked and squinted around the darkness, attempting to see her surroundings.

She managed a foggy view of Amyth's long blonde hair swaying. The Need had Amyth's head in her long needle hands.

Amyth was flailing in panick, her breath having escaped her lips. Her eyes gaped up at the Need, who was only visible through her sharp pitch black eyes, and long smile. Then her vision went black.

*

She sat upon a tree, her long thin thighs were a dark green, and slimy in lake moss. She was too high up for safety, and down below she watched shadows zip by. They ran in short bursts, skating upon the water as if it were ice, and curving around the barks of the great trees. She squinted at the shadows, and realized they all looked exactly like the Need.

Her head turned, peering over the branches.

Her vision blurred, swaying, and something catching in her throat.

In the distance, the mountains spread over the sky. They emit a glow to them, one that blinded her eyes.

And Amyth realized, that that was no mountain.

She stumbled back, finding the tree leaves before her. She fell through the air, her needle hands grasping for anything to stop her fall.

Her vision changed, changed to the white blazing flames licking the surface of the water. The water sizzled and was consumed.

Amyth felt the despair cling to her every limb.

*

Her eyes shot open again, and saw the Need's maniacal smile spread farther. Only now did it horrify Amyth.

Cyan's eyes widened as she saw Amyth's jaw drop, her voice ringing through the water.

She screamed loud and shrilly, her breath rushing out in bubbles that crawled up her twisted red face.

Cyan lunged for her, but her ankle had been tied up to roots that tangled round her ankle and up her shin.

Then a burst of pink-violet light blinded them.

Cyan turned up, and watched the metal box. It expanded, glowing brighter and brighter, the metal morphing.

First there was a strangely shaped head, then grasping limbs, and a short foot kicking the Need away. The Need screeched a scream so shrill Cyan could feel the ripples grow stronger.

But the light flung the Need away, and pushed the limp Amyth up.

Cyan flailed and kicked, lunging for the light. Her cold frail fingers stretched and grasped, but they swiped by the only emptiness. She craned her neck upwards, still grabbing at the water as if she could clutch the current and be dragged up.