Signum ch.6

*

After long awkward hours of lingering uselessly in Nel's world, the portal appeared before them. Zethan noticed it first, and grabbed Cyan from the crowd of robots which had taken a liking to her. He jerked her up, jumping through the portal before it could go away.

Zethan stumbled onto the ground, falling over Cyan again. The air was knocked out of her and she gasped. Zethan sat up and looked up to the people standing before them.

A woman stood before them. She was about in her late twenties, with round thin glasses, long brown hair pulled back into a tight bun, and dressed as if she were a secretary. Her eyes were a clear pearly white, and staring nonchalantly at Zethan and Cyan. She brought out a clipboard and wrote something down.

Cyan looked up just to be blinded by a flash of light.

The camera whirred and the woman took the photo it released. She shook it, taking one last look at it before tucking it between the pages.

She then reached down and grabbed Zethan's chin. She pushed his face from side to side, examining him. Zethan slapped her hand away, glowering at her.

"What a brute he is." She muttered.

"Oh, that's not the person." Nel said, stepping up from behind the lady.

"No? Well then who? Because I don't see--" The lady stopped.

Cyan lifted herself from the ground, coughing. The woman crouched down, taking Cyan's chin. But before she could examine her face as well Zethan slapped her away and brought Cyan into his arms defensively.

The woman stared at Zethan, a slight offended frown on her face.

"Nebula."

Suddenly a force much like a cold wall struck Zethan back. He was shoved back, rolling backwards violently until he hit a gray wall. His eyes went wide, dumbfounded at what had happened.

Cyan sat, looking back with wide eyes at Zethan, who was now several feet away. Cyan's arm was grabbed, and she was pulled up. She glanced at Nel, who was jerking her farther away from Zethan.

Cyan realized they were in a large cage. It was more of a room with steel bars as walls, but Nel dragged Cyan to the exit. The woman stood at the door, waiting to shut it and lock Zethan in.

Cyan recalled Nel's phone call.

They're going to take away Avalon.

Cyan jerked back. She twisted and thrashed in Nel's arms. Catching him off guard, she managed to squeeze away. She stumbled on the ground, and scrambled towards Zethan, who was already running to her as well.

"Nebula." The woman said again.

And when the two got close enough they crashed into an invisible wall. Cyan's eyes were wide and locked on Zethan's, his own reacting to her fear. He struck the wall over and over again, screaming in anger as Nel reached for Cyan.

She quickly ducked out of the way, rolling onto the ground. All she could think of was the beautiful glowing place, and how it had made her shriveled heart thud. She thought of its starry sky, its full blue moon, its guardian.