Exchanging Of Names

Start from the beginning

            “Hey, new girl, need a lift?”

            I smiled politely but shook my head, Brooke’s sneer flashing in my mind, “No thank you, I don’t have too far to go.”

            “Where ya headin’?”

            “Uh,” I stalled, “The pizza joint down town?”

            He smiled, “Pizza Bingo?”

            I nodded and he opened the passenger door, “Hop in! I live five minutes from there.”

            My head turned back towards the school as if Brooke and the BB’s would jump out any second, and slice me for even thinking about taking Graysen’s offer.

            “I really shouldn’t…”

            He smiled, “Ah, come on, new girl! It’s really nothing; just a friendly lift is all.”

            Graysen was right. There was nothing wrong with getting a ride to work. And besides, I snuck one last glance towards the school, the bitch squad was nowhere in sight.

            I sighed and nodded, making Graysen’s smile turn into a grin, and climbed in the open car door.

            He put the car in drive and shot forward as the door closed, “Thanks for the ride, Newman.”

            I smiled when he chuckled, “Anytime, Benet.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

            Graysen and I kept small talk going the whole ride to the pizza place. He told me that he was the captain of the football team, he had two little sisters, and his favorite color was orange.

            I also found out we had two totally different tastes in music.

            “Oh my God, you actually like this?” I questioned, gawking at him as the sound of banjos filled the car.

            He glanced at me briefly before turning back to the road with a smile on his lips, “Seriously? You don’t?”

            I shook my head harshly and he laughed before turning it up.

            Before long the sight of my new work place came into view and he turned it down, causing me to thank the heavens.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow, Benet.”

            I laughed at his smirk before jumping out of the car, “Later, Newman.”

            I waved as he drove off before I turned around and walked into the restaurant.

            There was only about ten people in the joint when I walked in, but they all turned around to see who arrived when the bell chimed over the door.

            “New girl! I thought you’d never show!” Jet yelled from a table, holding a deck of cards. He, two other guys, some girl, and Bunny were playing Spades by the sound of it.

            “Five.” Bunny called.

            “Eight,” Jet nodded at the two guys.

            I looked at them with an amused expression, “I can tell you’ve been pacing the floors with worry.”

            Bunny chuckled and Jet turned to smirk at me. “Come on over girl, I’ll introduce you to your other co-workers!”