Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

  Tsukki glanced around as all the genin who passed the first exam stood outside a fenced in forest. The tension was steadily growing, and the fact that they had to sign waivers didn't help.

  The proctor, a kunoichi named Anko Mitarashi, was explaining the rules and each word she said made Tsukki's confidence sink. He knew Team Nine may have been the best comparative to the 'Rookie Nine' as Naruto and the others were referred to, but other teams like that team from Suna and Tenten's team could all beat them in a second.

  Tsukki found Anko was done talking once he exhausted those pessimistic thoughts that kept circulating in his head, but he understood the rules. They needed to obtain two scrolls: keep possession of the one they were given and find the scroll of the opposite color. Then, they had to take the scrolls to the tower in the center of the forest within five days. All three on the team had to be alive and moving once they arrived.

  "We're going to stay together and go fast, alright?" Daichi said as soon as they wandered out of earshot of the other genin. He already signed the waiver in his hand. "Going clockwise, we'll encounter a team and observe them for a bit. If they don't show any openings, we move towards the tower to ambush any of the teams that have similar ideas or ones that are done."

  The plan wasn't perfect, but it was a plan.

  "What happens if we get split up?" Hotaru asked. Tsukki noticed his waiver was filled out as well.

  Daichi went silent, thinking for a moment. "Make your way to the tower. Leave the clan's symbol on a few trees as you go in case one of us is behind you." The older boy drew a semi-circle opening towards the right with a dot in the center in the air as an example.

  "We'll need a code," Tsukki spoke up. "Any genin can perform the Transformation Jutsu."

  Hotaru smile, though it was slightly muted. "Nobu's favorite food."

  Daichi couldn't hold back his laughter. "I-I'll tell him that we used him for our code," he gasped out after a moment.

  Tsukki's gaze flicked over to observe the green haired boy for a moment. He noted that a distant look entered the boy's eyes when he thought no one saw. The weight from yesterday hadn't disappeared yet, and Tsukki knew it wouldn't until the end of the week when the second exam was completed.

  "It's time to receive your scrolls," a shinobi announced, interrupting the genin teams' discussions. He drew back the curtain of the make-shift tent to let the first team in. Daichi led them to the line, and they waited for a few minutes until it was their turn.

  "Your waivers." One of the two shinobi sitting within the tent extended his hand. The second chunin drew the curtain closed.

  Daichi and Hotaru handed theirs over, but Tsukki didn't move to give the man his. "Sorry, I haven't signed it yet. Do you have a pen?"
With a silent nod, the man handed him a black pen and the blond scribbled his name down. Hotaru peeked over his shoulder as he wrote.

  "I guess even you can lose your focus," he said innocently. Tsukki shrugged, but he caught Daichi's eye. The older boy narrowed his brown eyes in thought, but they both knew it wasn't the time to talk about it anymore. That time had already passed.

  "Here." One of the chunin laid a scroll on the table. The dark scroll was a stark contrast to the wooden surface.

  Daichi picked it up after a moment, and handed the small scroll over to Hotaru. Hotaru blinked, shoving his distracting thoughts from his mind. With a small smile, the green haired boy formed the hand seals for the Transformation Jutsu and the two kunai he was holding turned into flawless copies.