Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

  On the day of the final assessment, a pygmy owl landed on the window ledge. Haruto glanced over when the bird tapped its beak against the glass. He guessed it was the clan head's summoning. Junko informed the class that Hiroshi would find them when it was time to be tested, but never specified how. The blond walked over to open the window, and he ducked as the owl flew in. It landed on the back of a chair after a minute of flying around the room, seemingly to check out its surroundings.

Haruto saw a piece of paper rolled up on the bird's leg, so he reached out to remove it. The pygmy made no move to stop him, but its eyes watched him with a human-like quality; it was slightly unnerving. The note was brief and vague, just saying that Hiroshi wanted to meet him at the front entrance of the compound.

Haruto ensured the apartment was spotless before he left—no crumbs, dirt or garbage. He had to leave no evidence of him living here. The blond started out the door, but paused to check over his shoulder. The owl stared at him for a moment before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

After locking the apartment door, Haruto couldn't help but speculate on the type of test. Junko never said anything about it being a practical test or written. However, there was a good chance that the assessment would focus on determining how much potential he had. The main duty of the clan was to provide Konoha with strong genin who could rise to become a jonin or even an ANBU. With Hiroshi having them gathered in the front of the compound, Haruto figured the test would take place in the forest, or even in the village itself.

A soft breeze brought Haruto to the present as he walked out of the main building. A man with his dark brown hair braided over his shoulder had his back to Haruto, but turned at the small sound of footsteps.

"Ah, Haruto," the man studied him with silver eyes as the blond walked closer. Haruto wasn't sure how Hiroshi knew his name, but he bowed in respect nonetheless.

The sound of approaching footsteps from behind made him straighten, and turn. It was the twins. The rest of his classmates quickly followed, and Hiroshi briefly introduced himself to them, which was answered with a few laughs. The clan head gestured for them to follow, and led them down the dirt path towards Konoha.

  Haruto nodded to himself. He was correct once again.

  They walked at a fast pace, and he heard scattered conversations from his classmates about different things like whether they actually studied or not. None of it was the least bit interesting, so he zoned out for the most of the walk. He didn't realize they had arrived until he heard Hiroshi speaking.

"... and I want to welcome you all to Konohagakure!"

The large gates were wide open and led into the Leaf Village. Haruto looked on in awe of the village he had only heard about. Various buildings of size and color sprawl out before him. He could see the bustling crowds in the streets, and shinobi running over the rooftops to avoid the chaos down below. Then there was the Hokage Rock which rose above the village, and the eyes of the former Hokages protectively watch over the citizens.

  "Everyone has the same reaction to seeing Konoha for the first time," Hiroshi said with a chuckle. Haruto realized his mouth would as hanging open, so he smoothed his face into an untelling expression. Curious, he glanced around. All his classmates were shocked, and excitement glittered in their eyes.