Chapter 14

Picking up my bag I sigh dramatically over my shoulder

Picking up my bag I sigh dramatically over my shoulder. My dad was ill and therefore couldn't drive me to work today meaning I had to walk.

"Just because I walk once doesn't mean it's going to be a regular occurrence." I tease him with a smile and he laughs.

"Don't go too much into shock, Eb" His laugh turns into a cough and I frown.

"I can stay at home to take care of you, work can wait." I begin taking the bag from my shoulder but his protests stop me.

"Get to the grill, serve some burgers then come home. Movie night?" The suggestion make me smile, he hates movies but knows I love them.

A painfully vivid memory of Damon compelling my dad into being a good dad flashes in my mind for an instant. The reality of wether or not this is real is confusing but I brush it off, for now.

Leaving the house my smile falls as it begins to drizzle. Of course, the one time I have to walk it starts to rain. Let's just say my recent luck hasn't been all that great and by the time I finally reach The Grill I'm soaked through and it's thundering outside. My once perfectly straightened hair is now an unattractive wavy mess and my makeup that took a good 15 minutes to perfect has washed off my face into a black pool of an unintentional grunge look. My manager doesn't question my look as by the time I return I'm makeup free and my hair is tied up, not a look you want to be wearing on and 8 hour shift.

"Did you seriously walk in the rain?" Matt Donovan, the one person out of the several I met since moving to this shitty town I actually speak to, looks at me in a fake concerned more mocking way and I smile sarcastically.

"Nope, I went swimming in the vodka behind the bar." I throw this at him grumpily as I pour the customer their drinks,"That's £4:30 please" Distracted by the customer I don't see my ex-friends walk in until it's too late to hide from them.

"You know, you can't hide from them forever." Matt reasons with me as I begin to squirm, searching for something to dig my own grave with as I'm pretty sure I just died.

"I know," I give in, "but maybe avoiding them for a little bit longer isn't going to hurt anyone." My puppy dog eyes work as Matt begins to serve them, I faintly hear Caroline ask about me, but don't listen to hear exactly what she said. Stefan, surprisingly being among them smiles at me and I swallow the vomit in the back of my throat with a struggle.

"A little service here?" A rude customer breaks me from my trance and I'm forced to act like everything is okay.

Seeing them all is so strange. I haven't interacted with any of them since what happened between Stefan and I. I managed to avoid them a school by joining every lunch and break club going. After school was sorted with work and even then they barely came in, and when they did, I either did something in the back or went on my break. It's only today, with the terrible weather that some staff weren't available for their shift, leaving me and Matt to fend for our selves behind the bar, meaning that neither of them options are available for tonight's shift.