Chapter 6

Ebony

"Ebony?" His voice comes out so soft, I have to remind myself that I'm just a charity case to him. He pity's me.

But I notice suddenly I've never heard him speak like that. He's normally sarcastic or cocky, but now, it sounds different. Nicer somehow.

I step away from him and blink, letting a warm tear flow down my cheek, leaving a trail for more to come down. "Stay away from me" I stammer holding up a hand in warning.

"I don't know what Elena's said. But whatever she said to have you looking at me like that, It's not true" His face is stone now, showing no emotion.

"Just please, take me home" I whisper quietly, not allowing myself to show anymore emotions here. "I just wanna go home, Damon" I tell him, looking at my feet.

Driving in Damon's car on way home wasn't awkward, I think he noticed that I didn't want to talk, as he just sent looks of worry my way throughout the ride home.

And All I wanted to do was smile at him, and say 'I'm fine. It's not a big deal." But I'm not fine, and to me, it's a huge deal. So I sat there, thinking.

Thinking about my dead mom, my depressed dad, my vampire best friends and the guy I'm falling for pathetically.

I sigh, as we are pulling into my street, knowing that the billion questions that are going to be sent my way, aren't going to be nice ones with pretty answers.

When we reach my house, I notice all of the lights are off. Frowning I step out of Damon's car, eyeing my house carefully. Maybe my dads at work? Probably, all he seems to do lately is work. My stupid teenage problems wouldn't interest him anyway. He much prefers politics, math, boring old guy stuff.

Not bothering to think about my dad anymore I go straight into my bedroom, not turning back to invite Damon up, knowing he was coming already by the sound of his feet banging my stairs from behind me.

"I've called Caroline over, to take care of you" He starts speaking, each word making it harder to breathe.

"I don't need looking after, especially not by a vampire that would probably kill me if I got a paper cut." I say looking to my feet suddenly interested in them, only to glance up sarcastically to give him a fake smile. "Thanks though"

I know I'm a bitch for saying that and I know he rang Caroline to help me or whatever, but right now, I can't be bothered with everyone's shit. I've got enough of my own.

But Damon decides to ignore my sarcastic tone, and with a step towards me, the questions start. "Want to tell me what the hell went on in there?" Damon questions me, his blue eyes taking my breath away. I look up, feeling the tears in my eyes and seeing them cloud my vision.

"Not really" I say throwing another sarcastic smile over to him. Seeing the look he's giving me I sigh. "Elena spoke about my mom. My dead mom Damon....It's a hard subject for me and she knows that. Just hearing her say it made all the memories come back" I speak up finally finding my voice, but it betrayed me by showing my heartbreak. "It was like she got a knife and shoved it into my heart, and twisted it" I was shaking now, and finding it hard to concentrate. "Her compassion just disappeared those few seconds" I say, holding in a sob.

"Elena's never done anything like that before, I mean her own parents are dead" He defends her.

"You defend her blindly" I say, emotionless for a moment, I see him sigh in defeat.

"I get she talked about your dead mom, but that can't be it" He tells me stepping closer slightly. "There has to be something more" His face is almost pleading as he speaks to me.