Chapter One

Chapter One

Brushing my fingers through my tangled mess of brown hair, I bit down on my jacket to hold it in my mouth, all the while using one hand to pull up my jeans.  The alarm clock I had set for an hour and twenty seven minutes ago started blaring, scaring me to the point everything I had resting in my hands fell, my skinny jeans falling down to the floor when my mom began to burst through the door.

            “Oh!  Star – I –” she stammered, but I held my hand up, silencing her as I swiftly pulled my jeans up once again, my hair a ravished mess. “How are you not up yet?” Her green eyes sparkled with slight amusement as she watched me glare at the phone that was still continuously screaming the song that Emma had placed on my phone.  Black Veil Brides being her favourite band, she took her sweet time placing all of her favourite songs on, and setting one as my ringtone to my alarm just so I would get up to the “oh so sweet sound” of their voices.

            “Because my alarm chose to just now go off!” I snapped, picking up my phone and turning the alarm off with a rough jab of my thumb.

            “We’re leaving in five minutes.  I see you haven’t packed.” Her arms were crossed as she leaned against my doorway, perfectly waxed eyebrow quirking up in amusement.

            “Oh, no mother, I’m not!  Care to remind me why I even have to go?”

            My voice came out harsher than intended and I watched her flinch away, sighing.

            “You know that it’s only respectful that we visit the king.”

            “Is that so?  Well tell the king to get off of his high horse and come visit us.”

            I growled, throwing clothes into a bag before clenching my jaw as my mother watched me with her eyebrows furrowed in agitation.  I glared at her from under my bangs, my green eyes ticking in annoyance before she sighed and shook her head, walking out of the room and leaving me on my own.

            Halfway with the bag full, I groaned, banging my head against the wall before heading to my closet once again, grabbing a few of my “best” dresses which consisted of being a black colour, white lace, and a few frills at the bottom.  The one that was my favourite, however, was a deep black with the middle an emerald colour that matched my eyes, frills appearing at the bottom, and the sleeves a long sleeve before dropping down one shoulder.

            I smiled, placing it in my bag before closing it and zipping it up, placing a few pairs of my shoes on top before grabbing it on the ends, using my werewolf strength to pick it up even though it – in truth – wasn’t heavy at all.  Carefully walking down the steps, I tiptoed my way, hearing a car door shut from outside.

            Suppressing a sigh, I leaned against the wall, eyeing the door until Garrett walked in.  His usual brown hair was tussled, eyes flicking over to me as he gave his usual boyish smirk and walked over to me, his arm wrapping around my waist as my own wrapped around his neck.  Sighing, I buried my face into his chest, feeling his heart beat against my cheek as his fingers trailed down my back gently.

            “You ready to go?” he questioned, nipping at the top of my ear and pulling away when I shivered.  Glaring playfully, I shoved him away and slid on a pair of converses, winking at him as I pointed to my bags and laptop waiting to be carried out.

            “Have fun!” I chipped out, practically dancing out of the house as I heard him growl.

            “Star will you turn off this music already!”