chapter thirty - old family, new family

"Mani," Willa said as she sat criss cross on the floor, allowing her aunt to braid her hair for her.

"Yes, my love?"

"Are you going to marry my mama?"

Normani laughed at the question, having heard her fair share of random questions from the little girl.

"I hope to one day, why?"

"Because I want to be a princess at the wedding. Can I be a princess at your wedding?"

"You can be anything you want at the wedding. I pinky swear," Normani said, extending her pinky out for Willa to latch her own onto.

"So you're not mad at mama anymore?" Willa asked, well aware of the tension that existed between the two since they refused to talk to each other the entire party.

"Your mama is just a stubborn butt sometimes, but I'm not mad at her anymore."

Willa giggled at the expression Normani used, thinking about whether or not she should tell her mama those same words. "All done," Normani draped the braid over Willa's shoulder, allowing the child to admire it while she stood up and gather the brush and hair ties.

"Thank you, Mani," Willa said, wrapping her arms around her aunt's waist before hurrying into the kitchen to show off her hair to her mother and her other aunts.

When she entered, however, her mama and Aunt DJ were loudly arguing, Aunt Ally was cutting some vegetables, but she looked like she wanted to cut something else.

"I can't believe-!"

"Willa," Ally spoke up, making both women stop their fighting.

"Is everything okay?" Normani asked, coming up behind Willa. She heard faint yelling when she was braiding the child's hair so she played some music on her phone to keep them entertained. She didn't think the fighting would continue past the ten minutes it took her to do an intricate braid.

"This puta-!"

"I'm going to punch her, I swear!"

"Try me."

"Bitch, I might!"

The two began yelling again, motioning between themselves as they raised their voices. Normani placed her hands over Willa's ears, hoping to block out the swears.

"Hey, you idiots. No swearing in front of the child!" Normani called out, making them stop again. "Willa, go get dressed in the outfit on the bed. Our guest will be here soon."

Willa went to do so without question. Anything to get away from the fighting.

"Can someone please explain why you're both ready to throw hands and throttle one another in the throat?" Normani asked calmly, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Idiot One over there," Ally began to say, motioning to Lauren with the knife, "forgot to tell Idiot Two about our guest that's coming today-,"

"Because she went to walk Laker and just got home!"

"Shut it. Let Ally speak," Normani said, giving her girlfriend a pointed look.

"So of course the encounter between us and Camila last night was brought up again. Dinah said some shady things to Lauren, Lauren said some shady things about Dinah, and now they're at each other's throats."

"I leave the room for ten minutes," Normani mumbled, shaking her head as she tried to think of a way to restore peace. She wasn't about to let Camila come back to the house to find them fighting like cats and dogs. Even though she didn't admit it to anyone, she wants to show off to Camila that their lives were okay without her, because they were.