chapter fifteen - billions of specs

One week later...

"Alright, let's try the next set of numbers," Lauren suggested, pointing to the line of addition that was adding different numbers to 6. Willa sighed and dropped her pencil down, beginning to scratch in her answers for 6+1, 6+2, and 6+3. It was when she hit the following numbers that she had to stop and count on her fingers.

Lauren could see the child's frustration. From that morning the little one was grouchy and she refused to eat her breakfast and lunch, which contributed to her rather foul mood. The mother understood. She knew it was one of Willa's bad days and could respect that, but she had to make sure the child got her lesson in for the day, otherwise she would fall behind and won't have enough to submit to pass kindergarten. Lauren was not about to raise her child to fail kindergarten, no matter how ridiculous that sounded.

"I don't have anymore fingers," Willa groaned, slamming her hand on the kitchen table as she tried to add 6+5.

"Take a minute. If 6+4 was 10, what would it be if you added 1 more?" Lauren asked, gently scratching Willa's scalp to try to sooth her.

"The question doesn't ask that," Willa argued, pointing to her sheet. "It says 6+5, not 1!"

"I know, babe. I meant add 1 to 10. What would it be?"

Willa chewed her lip and thought, her eyebrows furrowing as she wrote 11 under the right space.

"Good job, WillaBee. That's exactly it."

Willa didn't react, though. She just continued to scowl as she went onto the next one, finding the same issue as she couldn't get enough fingers for 6+6.

"I don't know," Willa finally stated, shaking her head.

"Yes, you do," Lauren said gently.

"No, I don't!" Willa declared, startling Lauren as well as Raider who was fast asleep at her feet before her loud voice woke him up.

Lauren paused for a minute, trying to figure out her next course of action. She knew she couldn't let Willa get away with yelling. It was unacceptable and if she let it go the girl would believe she could do it whenever she wanted and just blame it on her bad day.

"Niña, I know you're mad but we don't yell at people. It isn't nice. I'd like an apology," Lauren explained calmly, waiting a minute for the child to say something.

Willa just growled lightly, not liking how she had to be sorry for not wanting to do her homework.

"Wil-,"

"I don't get it!" Willa screamed again, this time chucking her pencil across the room, nearly hitting Dinah who was entering the kitchen to grab food.

"Jesus. Someone's got an arm," the woman stated, noting Lauren's glare, which made her shut up instantly.

"Willa, that was not what I asked of you. I want an apology now and I expect you to give one to DJ as well for almost hitting her with your pencil."

"No!" Willa yelled, shoving her homework away before standing up, crossing her arms as if to prove a point.

"That's it, Willa Jauregui. I gave you two warnings. You need a timeout," Lauren stated, standing up as well.

"I don't wanna," Willa refused, standing her ground as she glared right at Lauren.

"I am the adult. It doesn't matter what you want. You were naughty so you will sit in a corner for ten minutes and then you will apologize to DJ and me and then you will come right back in here to finish your homework. Is that clear, young lady?"