chapter nine - swimming lessons

"Alright, now let's try to starfish again," Normani said, resting her back on the water before letting her legs go up, extending her limbs out so she'd be splayed like a starfish.

"Don't let go, Lolo. Please," Willa said tentatively, her legs slowly releasing from around Lauren's waist as she allowed herself to be tipped back.

Normani and Lauren were making great progress with teaching Willa the basics of swimming. So far the little one got the doggy paddle down and was learning how to turn over in case she can't swim, making sure to keep her head above the water so she could breathe.

After a minute of being on her back, thirty seconds with Lauren holding her up, and another thirty laying there alone, Willa was brought up again, giggling slightly as a cool breeze tickled her wet skin.

"You are doing amazing, pretty girl," Lauren encouraged, brushing back some of the wet locks of her little girl.

"Should we try going underwater?" Normani offered, looking to the two girls before her.

"I can do that!" Willa said happily, leaning forward and plopping her face into the water, bubbles instantly surrounding her before she came back up giggling, blinking the water out of her eyes as she moved away her hair.

"Well, looks like that's one less thing to teach," Lauren laughed, bouncing the five-year-old before looking at the sun in the sky. They'd spent the entire day in the pool, the other girls having gone inside thirty minutes ago to start on dinner while Lauren and Normani got some last minute lessons in for the little girl.

"This is fun," Willa smiled, lifting her little fingers up to analyze they're pruned state.

"You're a raisin, princess," Normani laughed, taking a hand into her own to look at the fingertips.

"And you've been in the sun long enough that your skin got two shades darker," Lauren added, poking the tanned belly of her little girl. "I think it's time we called it a day," the mother finally decided, looking to the stairs, which were only ten meters away. "Do you think you can swim to the steps over there?" 

Willa chewed her lip unsurely, glancing at the distance before giving a slight nod. She allowed her hips to be held before she was released, instantly doggy paddling like Lolo and Mani taught her, making sure to pick her chin up every so often so she could breathe.

"Almost there!" Lauren cheered, offering a reassuring touch to show that she was right beside the girl in case she wanted to stop. Finally, Willa arrived at the steps, standing proudly on the first one she could reach, instantly earning cheers from the two women beside her.

"I think we've got a future Olympic swimmer in our hands," Normani praised, getting out of the pool and fetching a towel from the pile by the pool chairs. Lauren followed with Willa holding her hand, the small body trembling as the evening wind picked up.

"Here, Lo," Normani tossed her best friend two towels before she began to wring out her thick curls.

"There we go, nugget," Lauren said, wrapping her daughter in the fluffy material, instantly calming the shivers.

"Thank you," Willa whispered, covering her smile with her towel covered fist.

"Of course," Lauren smiled back, standing straight as Ally poked her head out of the back door.

"Dinner will be ready in ten minutes guys!"

"I guess food and then a bath is in order," Lauren stated, watching Willa widely yawn with a sudden growing exhaustion. "And then bed right after."

"Not sleepy though," Willa said as she took Lauren's hand and began to walk inside the house.

"We can always snuggle and watch a movie together," Normani offered, the ears of the girls inside perking as they caught on to the conversation.