chapter sixteen - toy store and paparazzi

Willa was happy. It wasn't that she wasn't happy before, but she felt like she had a lot of baggage on her, a lot of fears and sadness that she had to lug around, but Lauren was here. Lauren was always there for her, helping her take things out of the bag and lessen the weight. So, while she was happy before, Willa is even happier now, and all the girls could appreciate the feeling of having a five-year-old in the house now that acted like a child her age would.

Willa was currently on the floor of the living room, her legs kicked up in the air as she wiggled her toes and pretended like she was walking on the ceiling.

"Boo!" Dinah screamed, jumping into Willa's line of sight making the little one scream and laugh loudly in return.

"DJ! I'm walking here," Willa said after calming herself, continuing to move her feet in an exaggerating walking fashion.

"Your mom sent me. She said we've got to get ready to go," Dinah explained, throwing herself on the floor next to the child, smiling when Raider stood up from his place by Willa's head and went over to lick her cheeks.

"Where're we going?" Willa asked, sitting up and grabbing LoBear's foot, standing up to go find her mama.

"Shopping. She needs to get some things to bring to Miami for thanksgiving."

"Okay," Willa shrugged, hurrying for the stairs and running up them, laughing when she saw her mama poke her head out of the bedroom and give her a look. She knew she shouldn't run up the stairs, but it was fun.

"Come on, nugget. We've got to get ready," Lauren said, patting the bed where she had black skinny jeans, a beige shirt, and a green toque picked out for her daughter already.

"Mama, where's Miami?" Willa asked, getting on the bed and pulling off her pajamas that she wore after her bath that morning. It was a little after lunchtime but her mama said it was okay to wear them until they had to go out.

"Miami is in Florida, which is at the bottom of America," Lauren explained, helping Willa step into the jeans and pulling them up her legs.

"How do we get there?"

"Well, we've got to go to the airport and take a plane. Remember, like the one we took to go sing and get the puppies?" Lauren asked, taking the long sleeve and putting it on, carefully rolling up the right sleeve so then it could let Willa's open wound breathe. She was having a reaction to the bandages so Lauren decided to just keep it open to avoid infection.

"Yeah. It was like the magic carpet from Aladdin."

Lauren laughed at the comparison, slipping the toque over Willa's braids, not wanting to undo the braids and brush them out, especially since Willa loved them so much. "Alright, pretty girl. I think it's time to go," Lauren said, lifting Willa off the bed and offering a hand, walking with the child back downstairs to get their shoes on.

 I think it's time to go," Lauren said, lifting Willa off the bed and offering a hand, walking with the child back downstairs to get their shoes on