Military, Civilian, and General

Warp-Gates: the Federation makes use  of powerful FTL warp-gates for fast interstellar travel.
Nano-bot Weaponry: Non-replicating bots in weapons are common place in the Federation. They like to munch on enemy armor.
Virus Weaponry: Data attacks, electronic warfare and virus assaults are often used in combat.
Civilian
Artificial Gravity: Powerful centrifuges are used to generate strong gravity on small bodies, allowing colonization.
Corporations: The federation is comprised almost entirely of capitalist corporations out to make money for themselves. This makes the Federation extremely hard to economically or socially destroy.
General
Starbase: Setting up deep-space star bases is something the Federation does a lot. These colossal constructs are great for claiming un-owned space. They are great trade hubs, docks, space-ports and even stellar fortresses.
Technology Tiers
5 - Pre Industrial: stone age humans to modern day humans.
4 - Space Ages: Modern day humans to full colonization of home systems. FTL not discovered.
2 - Galactic Power: These are the big boys. They have pretty much full mastery of their current technology. They are highly respected and powerful empires.
1 - Ancient: These are the crumbling remnants of a people so advanced that they created life, stars would die at their whim. They had control over the forces of nature and space-time itself.
Fleet Size
Tiny - 500. 50 capitals
Small - 1500. 150 Capitols
Medium - 3k - 4k. 300 - 400 Capitals
Large - 8k - 15k. 800 to 1500 capitals.
Huge - 15k - 20k. 1500 - 2000 Capitals.
Gigantic - 20k - 30k. 2000 - 3000 Capitals.