IV.| Giving Up On Me

_____
"She sick and tired of the sorry shit. She start a fight in the party, shit. So sick and tired of the arguing. Find you somebody to argue with." - Trey Songz (Games We Play)
_____

When you get in so late from work and forget to set the alarm for the time you needed to get up the next day, you find yourself running around your apartment like a chicken with its head cut off

When you get in so late from work and forget to set the alarm for the time you needed to get up the next day, you find yourself running around your apartment like a chicken with its head cut off. I had literally five minutes to leave the house if I thought I was gonna get there on time. Finally, I found my keys and tossed them into my bag, before grabbing my phone off the nightstand.

I looked over to the bed at Jeremiah, who was lying there watching highlights on sports center. He more than likely had been up since like seven. You would have thought that knowing what time I needed to be at work he would have woken me up but he didn't. That's why I didn't bother saying anything to his ass when I left.

As I walked through the hood toward the street, I thought about checking my Lyft app to see if there were any cars in the area, but I decided to try my luck with catching a cab on the street. Luckily for me, I was able to flag down a Green cab without minutes and made it to work in the nick of time.

"I was just about to call you, girl," Asani said as I got comfortable at my station.

Asani was one of the few girls I really kicked it with at work. She was down to earth and minded her business. I was a firm believer in staying in your lane. I came to M.A.C to do my job not to compete with the other chicks there, or to be in their business. That was something Asani and I agreed on.

"Rough morning but I made it."

"Good, I know your wedding client is coming in, and you didn't want to miss that."

"Definitely not."

Working at M.A.C had been a dream of mine since I was in high school. While everyone else was saying how they were going to college to be teachers and all those other professions, I stuck to working at M.A.C and eventually becoming a make-up artist. Everything about make-up Artistry intrigued me and fortunately for me, I was living the beginning of my dreams. I wasn't where I wanted to be ultimately, but I was making strides in the right direction.

I had some time before my client was scheduled to arrive, so I busied myself with rearranging my station and thinking up new looks to try. My phone was in the drawer of my vanity, vibrating off the hook, and just when I thought to answer it, my client came walking in.

"Morning, Jaleesa."

"Emerald! I'm so excited, girl. I could barely sleep last night."