Chapter Fourteen (Edited)

Another chapter for you all! Read, enjoy etc. x

Chapter Fourteen

Aria’s POV

My eyes settled once again on Ray, a sheen now covering my vision. I held in the tears and with a final gust of breath I let out what had been slowly driving me insane for the past few years.

                “I went out into the hall, got to the end of the corridor... and that was when I found-” A sob wracked my body, “My mother was lying on top of my Dad, lifeless,” a disgusted laugh left my mouth, “You know what the worst part was though; I rushed up to them and hauled my mother’s body off him without a second’s thought.” I cast my eyes to the floor and shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

                I took a breath and continued, “I can remember my Dad’s eyes looking up at me, his chest was heaving up and down… but his breaths were so shallow. He pulled me to him, his grip so tight, and I had to lean in to hear him-” Only then the tears began to overflow, pouring down my cheeks.

I hadn’t cried since their death and now it was as if I had broken the dam that had been preventing the torrents of water from overflowing. My tears mingled in with my words, the salty taste washing over my lips. I could only sink into Ray as she wrapped her arms around me.

                Gently she began to lull me, rocking us backwards and forwards. My eyes remained closed but eventually my crying settled into a sniffling.

In that moment I realised that I never would have gotten anywhere in life without Ray.

                “S- Sorry.” I wiped away the tears from my cheeks and met Ray’s soft gaze, a gentle, understanding smile lighting her face. I knew I would never understand why she believed she wasn’t good enough for Garret; it was her who was leagues ahead of him.

                “My Dad whispered that he was so proud of me, and that I’d be a great pack leader. Then he said he loved me,” I smiled a little, “and then he was gone.” I blew out a long breath I didn’t realise I’d been holding. “After that, the funeral and those few months...” we both knew what I was referring to, one of the darkest times of my life, “I threw myself into looking for everything that could be related to their murder. I didn’t have anything to go on except the silver bullets they were killed with, starting off with the lower ranking Hunters who were willing to give up information with the minimum of fuss.”

                At this Ray sat up straighter.

                “What did you get from them?” I knew the fact that I’d been asking around the Hunters without her there was a problem to her, and I instantly felt bad for leaving her out of the whole process. I gave her an apologetic look, she merely nodded in understanding.

                “It was only rumours of rumours, but they mainly revolved around that the order for the killing had come from the top of the Hunter hierarchy.”

It was a few hours later when I’d remembered my promise to Archer. I’d even managed to make it to the front door without being noticed when I stopped of my own accord.

What was I doing?

                I barely knew the guy, for all I knew he was a strange boy who hung out in the forest behind my house. I should have been running away from him, not towards him.

There was something off about him- that much was evident. I also knew that what I was feeling was wrong, so very wrong. He made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and I knew I could get lost in the depths of his eyes for hours on end. It was something I’d never felt with Jase, something that felt forbidden, consuming and scary as hell.

                I stared out at the expanse of grass and trees that surrounded my house, the house I’d grown up in and now occupied with the main members of my pack while the older members had moved away, started families of their own. My loyalty was to my pack, and I knew that would always be the case.

                I sigh escaped my lips.

                Who was Archer really? I’d asked myself that question so many times, and I knew parts of the answer to that. I knew he was a boy whose only goal in life was to gain the acceptance of his family, of his parents, while he competed with his brothers. He was strong willed, and handsome, but he was conflicted inside. I could tell that much from catching glimpses of him in the moments when he’d thought I wasn’t looking.

                I knew that wasn’t the real question I needed to find the answers to though.

                Who was Archer to me? The answer to that question had been gnawing away at me ever since I’d met him, since I’d laid eyes on him that first time. Admitting it to myself was hard enough, but introducing him to my way of life? That would never work; he was human, strange as he was. I knew I’d never be able to ask him to give up everything to believe me, to question the world that surrounded him.

                He was my mate, and I knew he’d never be mine, he couldn’t be. My first and only priority should be my pack, as the rightful female Alpha. I knew if I accepted him as my mate, he’d become my priority, and a liability. I couldn’t have that.

                So as I sat on that front step of my house, my head collapsed into the fold of my hands. I knew I’d have to let him go. I was making the right decision, even if my heart felt like it was tearing at the seams.

                Finally, after what had seemed like hours, I rose from my perch and wandered back into the house. I closed the door on temptation, on my feelings and a mysterious boy who would remain as such, always a mystery.

Hope you liked it, we're starting to get to the climax now, sorry the chapters are really short. :) FAN, VOTE and please COMMENT xx