The Magician's Horses

The hidden depths of the underground hold society's greatest heros.
Avery~

The wind howled, the rain pelting like bullets. It poured down and soaked through clothes. The blistering cold made the wind bite at open skin. The smell of fresh dew was in the air as the streets began to flood. A cop car was in the distance. It's bright white contrasting with the dark night. The signal lights were spinning with their light blinding any pedestrian that walked by. The bar was packed, the doors wide open. Sweat glistened on the dancers while they drank their lives away.

I stood outside the bar with my dark jacket to keep me warm. My gloves covered the scars that lined my arms from many years on the force. William was across the street playing on his phone. He was alert, that much I could tell.

“Suspect is by the front of the dance floor with a brunette male and a blue-haired female.” I whispered into my ear piece. My eyes darted around as I watched the scene fold out in front of me.

“He's on the move,” William’s voice rang in my ear as I continued to watch. Using my phone as a cover as I acted like I was talking to someone. The suspect continued to stay an easy target, wearing a tight red shirt that revealed the numerous tattoos that lines his arms.

“Our shift will be over soon. Want me to call in Gulian?” I let out a soft sigh and ran a hand through my hair. Pondering my options I only had one. The suspect was not leaving anytime soon, and we needed him tonight.

“Cover me, I'm heading in.” My knuckles slowly became white as the grip on my phone increased.  I looked at the bouncer who gave me a death glare. I showed him a fake ID before getting a nod of approval to enter.

The strobe lights blinded me. Their colors lighting the vapor that surrounded us. A table in the front was giving a little show using their vape pens; alcohol stained their table, nearly empty glasses lined the back. The bartenders had their backs to us as they mixed drinks at the speed of light.

“Target is straight ahead on your left, I hope you know what you're doing Avery.” I blinked before making my way towards the target. His back was towards me, his hands on a woman’s waist. My eyes locked on the pistol in his back pocket, the revolver poking out.  The lights begun to dim as the DJ began to slow down the music.

“Our lovely patrons tonight, we have a gift for you.” The DJ spoke as a magician came out on the dance floor.

“His name is William and he is well-trained and knows how to listen. Any offers?” I cursed quietly, and I thought I was the stupid one.

I took a step forward and tripped on someone's foot. Wind flew right past me as I fell to my doom, but that never occurred. Rough hands wrapped around me, hoisting me up.

I looked back to see the man grinning at me. The man by his side left and went to go grab William from the stage and I squirmed in his arms.

“Hey now, I don't think that's any way to treat your savior. Now is it?” I growled and continued to fight him, keeping his attention on me and not the girl he brought here.

He glared and gripped my ass in his fist. I bit my lip to keep from responding and looked down on him with all the might I could to stop from giving a snarky comeback.

“Mhmm, aren't you a cute little kitten. What’s your name?” Once again I decided not to respond. My jacket was zipped closed and my ID tucked safely away in one of the inner pockets.

He growled, but put me down. His hand disappeared into my back pocket, slipping a card inside. He smirked again before wrapping his hands around my waist.

“Next time you want to have some fun, call me.” He winked before walking off with the girl.

I took my turn to leave but I noticed William was pinned against the wall under whomever won him. I chuckled before changing the channel on my ear piece.

“Gulian, let the boss know that William is going to be having some fun on a scoop for the business.” I smiled before taking my turn to leave.

William didn't come back to work until a week later. He wore a turtle neck, baggy sweats, and a sweatshirt on top of that. I couldn't deny that the office was cold, but that was a bit overboard. My eyes trailed to the seat cushion that he sat on and I snorted.

“Mhmm, have a fun week off?” I teased, poking his neck. He didn't respond at first but instead squished the stress ball in his hand.

“Oh it was mighty fun.” He glared at me, spinning his chair to look me dead in the eyes. His hair was sticking out all over the place under his hoodie and bags underneath his eyes.

I patted him on the shoulder before turning to go back to my desk. My phone ring and I picked it up, hearing my boss's voice I grimaced.

“Avery! I told you to not go and lose your partner and this is the fifth time that this has happened. He disappears and doesn't come back for a week later. Whose fault is that?” I held back a groan.

“This time it wasn't my fault. He decided to walk into the bar and go get himself a partner. That you cannot blame on me.” The phone went silent before the call ended. Another phone rang in the office.

“WILLIAM I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL FIRE YOU IF YOU DO NOT EXPLAIN YOURSELF THIS INSTANT!” The boss’ voice screamed through the phone. He got up and sluggishly made his way to the big man’s office.

That night I got a call at my desk just before I left. I sighed and picked up the phone. The phone slipped through my hand and fell to the floor once I heard the voice on the other end.

“Hello kitten.”