God's Messenger

Not all good things in life come from heaven.
Malak-

He only had one mission, to find the next messenger for God. Instead, he landed in a café with a devilishly cute barista. The problem was the barista, who had captured the eyes of the angel.

I walked into the café wanting a coffee and a pastry. Instead, I found a cute barista serving the customers. He looked innocent enough, strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes and freckles. My eyebrow raised as I saw the customers checking him out. I sighed softly and went up to the counter to order.

“How may I help you today, sir?” The barista questioned. His eyes glimmered as he smiled at all the customers, including me. I heard two girls squeal behind me in line and I rolled my eyes.

“One frappuccino please, and a chocolate scone.” He smiled at me and then disappeared. The two girls groaned as they were served by another barista. I looked over at them, before the barista came running back.

“I’m so sorry! We’re out of the chocolate scones- I um.. ate the rest of them.” I laughed softly before shrugging.

“It’s fine, have a great day.” I took my leave but he came running behind me with my frappuccino. I turned around and smirked. His cheeks were flushed pink from running around and his curly hair was a jumbled mess.

“Take a break and enjoy it, looks like you’re having a good workout.” I winked and his cheeks became crimson. He smiled at me before I left the café, the door’s bell tingling behind me. Walking to work that day seemed a bit off, everyone was too happy at work.

“Malak! There’s some new kids that moved into town, we think they have a good possibility of becoming angels. What do you think?” I didn’t answer, looking down on my superior. His smile faded as he continued,”you’re smiling. What’s up?” He knew I most commonly didn’t smile, not having a reason to.

“There's nothing new Dean. Anyways, why are you asking me? You're the one running this joint.” It was his turn to shrug his shoulders. I looked at him confused but he cleared his throat before speaking.

“You're the one looking for the next messenger. I thought it would be good to get your opinion, unless you already found one?” He winked and I yawned.

“You wish. The kid at Daemon’s Cafe ate the chocolate scones so I didn't get one.” Dean laughed, tears welding up in the corners of his eyes.

He walked away, leaving me with the kid's files. I looked at the five files, and the barista kid was on the list. I sighed softly while reading the file.

Male, 22, and an only child. Didn't go to college, and deceased parents.

He seemed like the perfect candidate, nothing tying him down to this world. I smiled, reading the rest of the files, but none had as high potential as this kid.

Later that night I went to the café. The front was closed, blinds drawn, but bright lights echoed from the back of it.

I walked towards the back of the café curiously. I noticed that the a in Daemon’s was off. Pursuing my lips, I looked at the people trying to get in. Demons, hundreds of them.

I got in, the bouncers ignoring me. Immediately I became captured in the sea of people, and made my way deeper into the club. I sat down at the bar and ordered a drink.

The bartender looked at me for a second longer than I would've liked. He gave me a small glass and I took a sip. The unknown liquid clouding my senses.

“Never been to a club, angel? We got drinks just for you.” He winked before turning away. I noticed the barista from earlier up by the stage, looking confident.

“Ravana-” he was elbowed in the side,”Ravi here will be dispersing the raffle tickets for the trip to hell I mean, the Bahamas. Get ready!”

The crowd yelled and I could tell Ravi had no idea what he was doing. He stumbled over drunk men and women on the floor. His hair was pinned back and he let out a sigh.

Ravi-

The angel was here from this morning. I could sense him from the stage, my fake tail peeking out from the shirt I wore. His gaze was on me and I flushed.

“Remember kiddo, you're trying to get that angel on our side.” I heard the manager whisper in my ear. Noticing the file in his hand, I smiled.

A faked background, looks like he came for me since I was the perfect candidate. Well, if you wanted an only child that has no living parents to be a messenger for god. The file was too perfect, even though it was all incorrect information.

I smirked to myself while I handed out the rest of the tickets. A woman pulled on my tail and I yelped. She collapsed on the floor, two holes in her neck. I looked up, a woman was looking in my direction.

Backing away, I rammed into someone.

“Ugh,” I groaned, clutching my head. My eyes widened as I saw the angel that my manager wanted. His deep gray eyes shielded from his black hair.

“Hey you alright, Ravi?” He smirked, extending a hand to me. I took it, feeling the leather of his gloves. His other hand hid the file behind his back, but I wasn't that stupid.

“I'm fine thank you, Mr. Malak.” I murmured, looking at his name tag. He blushed and scratched the back of his head. His eyes scanned the room, like he was looking for something.

He was about to say something but I disappeared behind the black curtain. It was nearing four, closing time. I changed into my street clothes, seeing that he was still standing where I left him.

His eyes were clouded, and it looked like he was having an internal conversation with himself. Seeing the empty shot glasses I sighed. He snapped out of it and his gaze landed right on me.

It had been thundering for the last hour, so mostly everyone left. My manager got grumpy when it thundered, so everyone knew to leave. Malak stood there, looking slightly dazed.

“Hey you alright?” I asked, tugging on his shirt to get his attention. He looked down on me with a soft smile.

“Maybe,” he winked. I sighed, knowing that Diablo had gotten the angel drunk. By the looks of things he couldn't fly home, so I called a cab.

“Hey where do you live?” I asked while leading him outside. We stood under the awning as the lightning brightened the sky.

“Far far away.” He hiccuped and I let out a groan. I dragged him into the cab, and told him my address.

The window was cracked, and I took a breath, smelling the fresh rain. I smiled, looking up at the bright sky. Malak was leaning against the other window, his head resting on his hand. I heard the street cars honking in front of us and I looked up.

I couldn't see anything, and the cab driver turned down a side road. My eyes closed sleepily as he pulled up to the end of my block.

“17 dollars-” I cut him off by handing him a 20. Malak was extremely heavy, and it was difficult to help him to my house.

His arm was wrapped over my shoulder and he leaned against the door. I locked it and sat down to take off my shoes. Malak took his off as well, and hung his jacket on the hanger.

I walked into my kitchen, Malak decided to lay on the couch by the fire. As I put the milk in the microwave I heard him get up. I turned around and was startled when I couldn't see him.

“Mhmm you're a cutie.” Malak purred behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I jumped but didn't fight him. He was drunk, so I knew he wasn't in the right state of mind. My eyes closed as I took a deep breath, pouring the milk into the mugs.

I walked to the fireplace and stooped down. The fire’s warmth made me feel at home. It crackled softly as I sat next to Malak, handing him the mug.

He took the mug and snuggled into me. I sighed, but didn't fight him. His eyes glimmered as he looked up at me. I smiled softly and kissed his forehead. Within a minute of doing so, he fell asleep on my lap.

Well now the angel has fallen into the hands of the devil.