Omnipotent

omnipotent (adj) (of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Power is only given to those who have proven themselves worthy to hold it.

Hell hides the secrets of many by covering them in fear. -

Avery-

On my eighteenth birthday I had been given a book. The book was not to be opened, but was passed down from generation to generation.

The book was very tempting to say the least. It stayed locked up in a case in my room for the past three years. I didn't know how old the book was, and no one questioned the age. I stood in front of the case, my hand on the glass.

It was truly beautiful. The case was old mahogany, still shining like new. The old pages a faded yellow, reminding me of brimstone. Beautiful crystals shone I'm the front of the cover, etched into the leather. Black Latin ink written in the middle, slightly faded at the edges. The smell was like burnt paper while the mahogany was rough against my fingers.

The book’s engravings lit up at the sense of magic nearby. I smiled softly, looking at all the old rusted magical lockings on it. My eyes wandered over the book in awe, imagining all the power stowed within it.

“Avery! Your mother is lighting the cake.” A voice ripped me away from my thoughts. I let go of the case and left my room. My footsteps echoed through the halls as I ran down the stairs.

My mother sat at the long family table, the whole family surrounding her. My grandma was in the kitchen, flying pots and pans floating above her. I snickered quietly before taking my seat at the end of the table.

Happy birthdays were sung, and presents opened. My cousin got drunk so she laid on the couch fast asleep. I rubbed my eyes, looking at my large family partying in the house.

My mom noticed my non-interest and motioned for me to head upstairs. Saying my goodbyes, I dragged myself up the stairs. Magic was strong in the air tonight and I took it all in.

The room was aglow in my room as I stepped in. I laid on my bed, my hands cradling my head, as I looked up at the ceiling. My eyes closed while I took a deep breath.

A noise echoed through the room from the bookcase and I opened one eye. The book was glowing, my eyes widened. I sat up cautiously, and slowly made my way over to the book.

My hands shook as I opened the cabinet. The book wiggled while the chains surrounded it. I let out a soft sigh and debated why I was doing this.

A soft touch, a drop of blood from my finger, and the book opened. I could barely breathe, the magic suffocated me. My eyes wandered to one of the spells that had a corner ripped out.

The words jumbled together until I could make it out. Spells were much harder than this in other books I had read. This spell looked to be useful, and I smiled.

After I performed the spell, a fog ran from my fingertips, surrounding the book. It was truly beautiful as I saw strings of magic intertwined within the fog.

Minutes passed and the book slowly descended to the floor. I noticed nothing different in my room and scratched my head. My cabinet door was still open from when I took the book out, so I placed the book back in. The door was now locked as I climbed into bed.

The following morning I felt a bit groggy. My mother knocked on the door before letting herself in not long after. She sighed softly while leaning in the doorframe.

“Perform a spell last night? You look a bit tired, too much magic?” I nodded softly while clutching my hair. She laughed softly before looking out the window. “I do hope you move out of here soon. I know your job is only a few minutes walk from here, but we want our freedom too.” I laughed softly before she left the room.

“Indeed I did, thank you little wizard.” An unknown voice made me whip my head around. A man at about 6’6” stood in my bathroom doorway. His hair was a deep red and his eyes dark, while a towel hung low on his waist.

“Who the hell are you?” I stammered out. My eyes were wide and my heart racing. His eyes glimmered with mischief as he walked into my room.

“Mhmm, do you not remember wanting a personal servant? Well you got your wish. My name is Gabriel Winter, the demon, and I am now your servant.” He bowed and the towel moved giving me a nice view of his genitals.

I blushed in embarrassment and looked away. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed softly. Gabriel walked over to me with a grin.

“Could you at least put some clothes on?” I murmured softly. Gabriel sighed softly before snapping his fingers.

“You know I thought you would a little bit of nudity.” He winks before his towel is replaced. I glared at him, the plaid and jeans hugging him in all the right places. My eyes closed as I fell back onto my pillow.

“You're not like how they described you in the book at all. You were supposed to be a thin petite elf.” This made Gabriel laugh to the point of tears. I didn't know why, it was obvious to know I messed up the spell, but why was it making the demon laugh?

“You're an imbosile! Why do you think the book is locked up? Hmm? If it was a simple summoning spell you could do that without blood or a spell book. When you summon with blood, you get bound to the thing you summon. Wether it be a being, plant, or object.” He wiped a tear away before stretching.

I didn't know how to answer. Thoughts swarmed in my head. Why hasn't my parents told me any of this? I clasped my hands behind my back before I started to pace the room.

“If that is true, why did the book open without any question? It took a drop of my blood and the locks opened without any spells.” I murmured, not quite loud enough for Gabriel to hear, but he did.

“Hold on,” he paused and his eyes darkened,”are you a Hale?” His voice became dark and rough at the end as he said my name. I nodded quietly, taking a step back.

“Why is that so important?” My voice faltered at the end. Gabriel was enraged, his eyes turning black. I grabbed a knife from my bedside and held it behind my back.

“You're a Hale, and your parents haven't taught you why that's so important? I swear-” Gabriel begun to yell and I winced. Hearing footsteps out my door my eyes widened. I stowed the knife back by my bed and pushed Gabriel into my bed. I quickly followed, pulling the sheet over my head.

“Now ssh, my mother is coming.” I whispered, getting a grumble from the demon. He disappeared under my sheets and I heard the door unlock.

Through the sheets I noticed my older brother in the room, looking around. I felt Gabriel pressed against my bed, due to me only having a twin bed. I was close to the floor, and I just hoped I wouldn't fall off.

Gabriel grumbled a curse and pulled me to his chest. My breath caught as I noticed I wasn't falling off the bed anymore. His tent was pressed against my ass and I squirmed.

My brother noticed that nothing was out of place and sighed before leaving the room. Once I heard the door close I let out a sigh before trying to adjust in my bed.

“If you keep grinding against me like that, you won't be able to walk for the next week.”