Chapter 3: Aftermath

“Relax Sam. I worked too hard to save you and your brother to kill the idjit now. Though it is rather tempting.” Tyler answered while Dean groaned.

“Why did you do that?” Dean moaned out. The dust was settling and Sam could make out his brother’s prone form on the ground, curled in a ball.

“You were pointing a gun at me.” Tyler exclaimed clearly angry. “What was I supposed to do? Let you kill me?” Dean groaned but got up into a crouch and managed to make it to Bobby’s couch.

“You done now?” Bobby asked standing up and stalking towards Tyler.

“Sorry Bobby.” Sam apologized for his brother.

“You got any sleep?” Bobby asked Tyler as he stood in front of her. She smirked at him and that’s when Sam noticed the dark bags under her eyes and her general exhausted appearance.

“If I did would we be standing here having this conversation?” She asked Bobby so quietly Sam could barely hear her. Bobby grunted in assent but let it be, instead going over to check on Dean.

“What hurts.” Bobby asked standing over to the couch as Sam made his way over to Tyler to stand by her and watch as Bobby tried to help Dean.

“You gonna try to kill me too?” Tyler asked Sam, leaning her head against the doorframe. Sam took in Tyler’s appearance again. She was leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed and her right leg over her left. If Sam was remembering body stances correctly from his Psych course, that meant she was being guarded.

“Nope. I know coming at you head on won’t work.” Sam answered her just as quietly. “I also know that you aren’t going to kill us and you’re not the threat Dean thinks you are.” Tyler closed her eyes and Sam realized she really did look terrible.

“I was here visiting Bobby.” She breathed. “First time I’ve been here in a while.”

“Were you avoiding us?” Sam asked her suddenly. Tyler opened her eyes and fidgeted but didn’t answer him. “You asked Bobby what we were doing here.” Sam added and Tyler sighed sounding defeated.

“And what if I was?” She asked Sam pushing herself off the wood and slowly walking towards the kitchen. Sam followed her but didn’t answer until she had sat down in one of Bobby’s chairs at the table.

“Doing a bit of light reading?” Sam asked her dryly pulling another one of the chairs a bit closer to her as he looked at the big ancient books scattered across the table. A book was open in front of her and Sam caught a quick glance before she saw him looking and closed it with a snap.

“Research.” She said staring at the cover of the book. Sam knew she was still waiting for his answer.

“You told us we couldn’t turn our back on you. But you turned your back on us.” Sam said staring at her. Tyler continued to stare at the table so Sam started yet again. “Why’d you leave us? Why’d you leave me? I wanted you to stay and be part of our family Ty! Our screwed up family! But you left me!” Sam finally accused.

“What do you want me to say Sam?” She turned to him, her voice angry but not raised. “Do you want me to say I’m sorry? Do you honestly think apologizing will make any of this better?” Sam looked at her furious and for a second they just stared at each other. Finally Sam backed down and both stared at the book.

“I don’t know.” He sighed. “You had every right to run. Dean was going to shoot you.”

“But I shouldn’t have backed down.” She shrugged out calmly. “I shouldn’t have reacted as I did just now either. But you surprised me and I’m a bit off my game, so to speak.”

“You surprised us too.” Sam chuckled and Tyler smiled. Sam could feel the shift as she opened up to him a bit more. “So research huh?”

“Yeah...” She sighed looking at the books.

“For a case?” Sam asked her again reaching for one of the thick dusty books.

“Yes, don’t touch those.” Sam stopped just as he touched the cover and looked at her sending her a pout.

“Sam’s good with research. He might be able to help.” Bobby said waltzing into the kitchen and opening the freezer.

“I said they weren’t supposed to know I was here. They can’t help.” Tyler said stubbornly, watching Bobby as he pulled out a bag and stuffed some ice cubes in it.

“Cause that turned out real well.” Bobby scoffed and moved back to the main room, taking Dean the makeshift ice pack. Sam looked at Tyler as she continued to stare at the book. She looked rather emotionless, sitting there but Sam had picked up a few subtle signs of her whirling emotions.

“Are you going to sit here staring at me or are you going to leave and let me continue my research?” Tyler suddenly turned to look at Sam. Her emotions carefully masked behind a blank look.

“Ty, Dean and I can help you.” Sam tried to persuade her to let him help.

“No, I don’t want your help. I don’t need it.” Tyler’s tone was clipped and Sam got the message.

“Fine. But don’t think this is over. I’ll be back, with Dean and we’ll get it out of you.” Sam threatened, sounding determined, getting up from his chair. “Think about it Ty.” His voice was a bit softer as he walked out of the room following Bobby to where Dean was.

“It’s Tyler!” She yelled after him. But Sam just kept walking. Tyler rubbed her eyes, begging them to stay open and opened the large dusty tome in front of her. She continued reading from where she had been before Sam and this whole fiasco interrupted her. She knew she had to find it soon so she could leave and start running again otherwise the hunters would track her down and be on her like locusts.