Chapter 1: Meeting Fear

“Bobby.” The voice scared Bobby Singer and made him jump and mutter curses under his breath.

“Who the hell-” He stopped when he saw Tyler Frost standing there in his kitchen with a small pistol aimed at his head. “Tyler...” He breathed out when he saw her. Bobby wasn’t sure if he should be happy or scared that she decided to show up now.

“Long time no see Bobby.” Tyler said quietly.

“The boys said you were dead.” Bobby moved towards the table with a small smile and Tyler gave him a hesitant grin back as she laid her pistol out on the table. “Told me demons got you.”

“They almost did. But you know me Bobby.” Her eyes flashed with pain before she pulled her emotions back under her mask.

“How did you get in here without me noticing?” He asked suddenly. She quirked an eyebrow at him with a mischievous smile.

“Magicians never reveal their secrets. You should know that Bobby.” He grunted in assent before Tyler continued. “Besides I have more tricks up my sleeves than most people do.”

“What are you here for Tyler? It certainly isn’t a nice chat and a beer. You don’t drink and I’ve never known you to make idle conversation.” She grinned at him and let a peaceful silence ensue. It wasn’t awkward but Bobby knew she was listening to make sure Sam and Dean weren’t here. “They ain’t here. You don’t have to worry, they’re out on a hunt somewhere in Nebraska.” Tyler nodded and chewed on her lip. Bobby let her stew, knowing that she’d eventually spit it out.

“Bobby, I need your help.” She said suddenly. “Sam and Dean can’t know about it. Promise me you won’t tell them.” Bobby was startled by her request. She never asked for help before. It wasn’t like her to ask at all.

“Slow down first will ya? There’s a long story here so why don’t I get you a glass of lemonade or something and then we can talk.” He said walking to the refrigerator. Grabbing the pitcher of holy water from the shelf he poured it into a glass and mixed in the instant lemonade mix.

“Thanks Bobby. You know demons can’t possess me so there was no need to waste holy water. But thanks anyway.” She said and sipped the liquid casually. Bobby shook his head but let it slide knowing he was in for a doozy this time. The boys, Sam and Dean, called him fairly often for help on tougher cases. Tyler however, never called him for help. He was the one who called her to give his assistance or in some cases to get help.

“Alright kid. Whatever you need help with sure ain’t gonna be easy so lay it on me and we’ll get to work.” Bobby finally said after he’d grabbed a few cold beers.

“Sam and Dean told you about the war between the angels and demons right?” She asked. Bobby nodded. “And you know about me and my... situation.” Bobby nodded again. “I’ve been hunted by demons almost my entire life. Of course no low level demon can easily take me down. But the angels? They’re a different story. I managed to disappear off their radar and now they’re pissed.”

“Girl, what is it with you and pissing off powerful beings?” She looked at him almost apologetically and that’s when Bobby knew there was more he wasn’t going to like. “You did it again didn’t ya? You used it.”

“I had to save Sam and Dean.” She tried to explain but Bobby shook his head. “I couldn’t just let them die! They’re going to end it! They’re going to stop all this!” She almost yelled at him.

“Tyler! I know what you did but it was risky. Why did you even let it get to that point in the first place?” Bobby asked her sounding tired. “I told you something would happen if you used them again. I told you to control it.”

“I tried Bobby.” She growled at him angrily. “Dean got under my skin. I let him get to me and I flipped on him. Then that golem started beating the living daylights out of those boys after I told them to leave and then it was going to explode and I couldn’t let that happen Bobby!” She slumped in her chair and Bobby looked at her taking in her appearance.

Her crystal blue eyes were unusually dull and dark circles under her eyes gave her a pallid, unhealthy appearance. Her skin, though tan, was pale underneath. Her hair was brushed and washed but seemed to hang limply. Bobby’s overall assessment? She was tired and worn out. Like bread over too much butter. Bobby thought wryly of the Bilbo Baggins explaining how it felt to carry the evil of the one ring of power that extended his life.

“Alright what happened.” Bobby said with a sigh. Wordlessly Tyler looked at him and stood up. She turned around and lifted the hem of her shirt exposing her back to him. As she raised the hem and the tattoo was revealed Bobby’s eyebrows rose almost to his hairline. When she let it flop back down he let out a low whistle.

“It gave me wings. Big black and white wings. That’s how I got away from the demons Bobby. I haven’t used the power since.” She sat down and put her head in her hands.

“Alright. Fine. What’s got you runnin’ with your tail between your legs and asking me for help?”

“I don’t know. I got this bad feeling and I haven’t been able to sleep at all since then.” She sighed at stared at Bobby balefully.

“How long ago was this?” He asked having a bad feeling. Bobby was aware of Tyler’s sleeping habits. Or lack thereof. She was lucky if she got two hours of sleep per night. He’d seen her run almost seventy two hours without a wink of sleep. So for her to look this tired...

“My dreams started almost a month ago. I think.” She pulled out her phone and looked at the date squinting a bit. “Yup. Nearly a month.” When Bobby looked at her she explained more. “When you can’t sleep things tend to run together.”

“Why were you running to me?” Bobby asked her.

“Because I have no one else I trust.” Bobby was about to ask about Sam and Dean but she stopped him. “Sam and Dean can’t get involved. This has never happened to me before Bobby. I always know what I’m hunting and I think this is what fear feels like.” She looked up at him again pain and, Bobby confirmed, fear in her eyes.

“You can stay here and I’ll do what I can.” He said she nodded and went to move her car. “What in tarnation am I going to do about this?” Bobby sighed and took a large swig of his beer.