Chapter 23: Since You've Been Gone

Chapter 23: Since You’ve Been Gone

By the end of a week Tyler wasn’t showing any signs of coming down from her angel blood induced high and the brothers couldn’t sit around anymore. “Call us if she starts to fly off the handle.” Dean told Bobby as they packed up for the case the two had found. It wasn’t far away and Bobby was tired of them moping around.

“Will you two relax? I’ll have her on drugs whenever I’m not in there with her alright?” Bobby practically shoved them out the door.

“Thanks Bobby!” Sam called over his shoulder as he climbed into the passenger seat and Dean pulled out. Sam opened the file Bobby had handed him. A woman was killed in her bathroom. Door and window locked and her head cut clean off… with dental floss. “Dental floss?” Sam asked.

“Yup. Bobby and I were thinking ghost.” Dean explained. Sam gave him a questioning glance before going back to reading the file. Dean filled him in though anyway. “It’s not the first time this has happened either. A few years earlier another woman went the same way. The cops figure the guy used something else and then covered it up with dental floss for some reason.”

“Dean, it says here the victim’s all appeared to have bruising on their gums in between their teeth that occurred right before they died. Angry dentist?” Dean shook his head.

“Checked that house and there wasn’t anybody who died mysteriously, violently or suspiciously. The last guy who lived here was a dentist but it looks like he died of old age.”

“It says his wife ran away with another man nearly fifty years ago.” Sam said reading the file.

“Yup. Checked on that too. Not much but apparently she was rumored to have a lover in San Fransisco who she ran off with. The guy was heartbroken and never remarried but he stayed in that house and after awhile kept going about his life.” Dean answered making Sam start that Dean had done this much research already.

“The only thing here that even suggests that it wasn’t just a murderer is the lack of another weapon, still locked door and the floss. This doesn’t sound like our kind of thing Dean.” Sam said looking at his brother suspiciously.

“We’ve looked at cases for a lot less Sammy. We both needed out of the house and back on the cases. This one’s still in South Dakota so if Bobby calls we can get back quick.” Dean finally told his brother.

“Dean-“

“No Sammy. We needed this. You needed this.” Sam sighed but let Dean think what he wanted. Dean knew Sam still didn’t agree with him but he wasn’t saying anything so Dean put in an ACDC tape and turned up the volume all the way to their crime scene. By the time the brothers got there the scene had already been processed and the officers were just finalizing some details from the scene.

“Officers.” A deputy greeted us as we walked by and flashed our badges. Dean inclined his head to the deputy as we passed under the tape. The boys headed up to the bathroom where there was blood on the mirror and a pool on the floor. The body was already at the morgue and the forensic team was already out of the room having collected all their evidence. All that was left was the blood and some of the evidence that they had already swabbed.

“You got anything?” Sam asked Dean as the EVP machine beeped in his hand near a wall.

“Yeah.” Dean looked up at the vent in the wall before reaching up and dipping his finger in the black goo that was sitting in the vent. “Ectoplasm.” He said showing Sam.

“It was definitely a ghost.” Sam said. The boys researched the house more and eventually found that the old man who’d been living there had killed his wife by strangulation via floss and had left a tooth in the wall when they had struggled. It took the Winchesters a bit but within a week the case was solved and taken care of.