Chapter 7: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

“YOU AND YOUR-“ I heard my dad begin, I quickly grabbed Emily and pulled her into my room and locked the door.

For once I was happy for my little enclosed place called a room.

For once I was glad to be so good at hiding my feelings.

For once I was glad, I had the ability to be strong for my little sister. I was glad for some quiet time, even though I could still hear the yelling from below if it was in complete silence.

“Dylan, help me?” Emily asked, oblivious to the tension downstairs.

I mask my face of any anger and turned to her, “Sure give me it.” I told her as she handed me her coloring pages. “So what picture do you want to color first?” I asked flipping through the pages, one after the other.

Emily waited as I showed her each page, “That one!” She finally said.

I smiled warmly at her, “Okay, let’s start with the grass then. What color?” I asked her holding up a pack of crayon.

“I like purple grass!” She told me her eyes shining with joy.

“Purple?” I asked letting out a slight laugh as she nodded. “Okay purple it is.” I gave her a purple crayon and she went on coloring the picture making sure to stay inside the lines. I sat back in my chair as she colored.

I heard another yell from downstairs and turned towards Emily who cringed in fear. She stopped coloring for a moment

I glared at the door for the hundredth time and turned towards Emily, “You want to listen to some music?” I asked her angrily grabbing my headphones off the wall.

Emily nodded she looked as if she’s scared that I was going to yell at her. I mentally cursed at myself, noting that my face probably look scary to her since I just glared at my parents down there. 

I sighed, “Emily, I’m not going to yell at you.” I assured her. She seemed to calm down a bit. “How about I color a bit with you while we listen to some music?” I offered a bit more nicely this time.

Emily nodded her face held a slight smile as I put the headphones onto her head. I grabbed the second pair of headphones from my table and placed on my head blocking out the yelling from downstairs. I rested my back on my chair and sighed in relief as my little sister handed me the next crayon to color her purple grass.

After about an hour of coloring her picture she decided to drift to sleep. I took the chance to take off the headphones and the house was in an eerie silence. I was actually glad for the silence, no more fighting or arguing.

However the silence scared me a bit, I looked at my sister a patted her head as she shifted around in her sleep. I sighed and quickly picked up my sister and carried her to let her sleep on my bed as I pulled out my chair and took out my homework.

“B’s not good enough.” I mumbled. Seriously I do not really care whether or not I get a good grade. I don’t even bother trying, as long as I get a B average I’m perfectly fine. I crumpled up my homework and threw it in the trash next to my desk.

 I’ve actually never cared about whether or not I finish it, actually as long as I understand the lesson most of the times I never really bothered to do the homework.  I was so lost in thought I didn’t notice my door opening.

“Dylan.” I heard my mom’s voice coming from outside of the door. I knew this was going to happen, she was going to come up and try to ‘talk some sense’ into me. I did the normal thing I simply ignored my mom.

 I heard the knock again, “Dylan, I know you’re awake.” My mom said softly. I continued to ignore her. “I’m coming in.” She said and I turned my head away pretending to focus on my computer as I heard the door clicked open.