we are not Facebook ... are we?

Girlygirlie1977

I'm not one for liking receiving PM's from people I don't know, as there are too many odd balls trying to strike up conversations, which sometimes are not appropriate. Which Is one of the reasons I can't bare this place sometimes. (but) It's a good job I can look after myself and know when to mute or say get lost!

~~~~~~~~~~

we are a writing site, but in reality, isn't wattpad just another social media extension?

i have known many people who have been approached (through PM) to strike up conversations. 

which have nothing to do with writing.

though the incidences are not as frequent, as i am sure they are on other social media sites, they can tend to be disturbing to some, as they do not expect this conduct here on wattpad.

so where is the line drawn.

when does wattpad cease to be a site devoted to writers and become just another social media site?

i guess i am asking what you think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

flower-king-of-flies

For me as a teenager, Wattpad is a great way to write about my interests and find others with similar interests. Considering many of the people reading my stories are girls similar in age to me, I've befriended quite a few of them, and therefore much conversation is not devoted to writing. So, it's a 50/50 mix of social media and writing for me, as I still talk to my friends about our writing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sharon Pereira

Writing is generally a solitary activity so sites like this, for the most part, are invaluable to the lonely writer. They're provided with feedback on their work but also may for the first time find like minded people who understand a shared passion. Therefore it's only natural that they may want to pursue some of those relationships on a more personal level. I for one have had my fair share of randoms inboxing me and I can honestly say that although some have been a little odd, on the whole they've all been pretty harmless. I have had more weirdos on Facebook and Twitter than I've ever had on here. I think the best way to approach any social networking site is to talk to who you want to talk to and simply ignore those you don't. If you feel threatened or freaked out in any way by a pm then report it. I think the reason this site is so popular is because it is such an interactive and sociable site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sim-AntinI

I see no harm in pms till it's related to writing like to thank someone for reading your work, ask for feedback when they are open to it in clubs or their profile, or just to say one admires their work. I've never got any other sort of weird pm till now so I wouldn't know. Sure I made friends, some just temporary, others stayed along for the ride, but the ride for me is all about reading n writing! Some people , as writers , readers even individual, can become friends too. Writing is lonely business and wp adds an element of social Interaction to it, even networking! So yup, it's a social media site with a focus primarily on writing and reading ( which is why I am here not on fb or Twitter)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lyttlejoe

I think there is room for a social side to Wattpad. With so much of the work being personal in content, I don't see how it can be avoided sometimes. Purging demons through writing is cathartic.

Not only in getting those thoughts out but in receiving real support and advice from others in similar situations or in related occupations.

And without ridicule, which seems rampant on the popular social sites.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the reason for writing on Wattpad. That's obvious. But it's an extra, if used properly, which can be truly beneficial and even fan that creative spark that glows from every corner of this site.

Just look at what the Pub has done since inception and read the works it has accumulated. The whole concept was to have a place where any and all could gather and share without restriction or restraint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~