John Laurens' Appearance

This is a request someone made so thank you! And remember that you guys can request stuff if you want and I'll try to answer it the best I can.

Now let us begin!

Today we are gonna talk about how Johnny looked like. His height, his eyes, his dic–

(Just kidding)

First let's talk about his height!

....Which we don't exactly know

But we do have some clues of what his height might be!

1- On October 27, 1769 (One day before Laurens' 15th birthday), Henry Laurens wrote on a letter that "His little Jack" (don't call him that, bitch) was as big as Henry was. So John was at least as tall as his father!

...But we don't know how tall Henry was either..

2- On September 30, 1777 Henry Laurens wrote the following to John ''let me know any thing & every thing you want, the Cloak will be absolutely necessary, you may direct the fashion & the garment shall be immediately made, a little too scant". So maybe that means that his cloak would be too short for John? But it is clear that Henry's cloak would fit John's build.

3- On January 28, 1778, Henry Laurens (once again) wrote the following to John "A Taylor has cut off as much as your Scarlet as will make as he says a waistcoat for 6 feet 3 inches'' So John could've possibly been 6'3, but then again we don't exactly know what Henry was talking about here.

4- The only visual evidence we have is The Surrender of Lord Cornwallis by John Trumbull (You ever seen a painting by John Trumbull?.... Please someone get that reference). Our John is pictured on the right standing next to Hamilton (Ham is immediately next to the horse). Laurens appears to be a good bit taller than Hammy, maybe around 4 or 5 inches. Hammy was about 5'7. But then again, John Trumbull painted this in 1819-1820, long after both of their deaths.

(God freaking damnit why are they some many buts)

So, after all that we can conclude that we don't really know how tall was John, whoops

Now let's go to physical appearance!

Which we don't know that much about either

But let's see what we can dig!

Sources do say that he was handsome (My handsome little soldier <3) but aside from his sexiness they don't really explain much. There is this book that says that he had black curly hair dark eyes, but this book also tells a story of him punching another law student in the face and that he went to Oxford (Which he didn't! He went to Middle Temple dO YOUR RESEARCH!) so yeah I wouldn't trust that book. (The book was Stories Of American History btw)