Chapter 10 - Devouring Nature

" Eh? What happened here? asked Alaister as he looked at the destroyed surroundings.

" You don't need to worry about this, it was just a misunderstanding with a friend, nothing much." said Alex with a smile. He then scolded mentally" I just said that I'm the headmaster here and this kid is totally ignoring me!"

"Anyway Alaister, quickly tell us how you feel after your second awakening!" Kala said impatiently. Kala and Alex didn't truly know Alaister's personality so they couldn't see what tremendous change he has gone through. Just by looking at his eyes, contrary to before when you could see a myriad of childish emotions, his look now revealed calmness and profoundness.
As he closed his eyes, the surrounding world appeared in his mind. There were primarily 9 colors filling the entire world. Slowly these lights started moving towards Alaister's body.

" This is...the ability of the second stage, elemental control, he was able to understand it so quickly! So this is the advantage of having a mental expanse of 93.." Kala was astonished. Normally, somebody who just broke through the first stage into the second stage would need 1-2 months until they grasped the elemental control.

"Never mind that, what is truly important is the ability he got from the second awakening! Alaister tell us what you got." Besides the first awakening, every new awakening comes with a special skill, a skill which will grow with the user.

"Ability? Hmm.... I don't know." he didn't feel anything out of the ordinary besides the violet energy now residing in his body.

"Well usually it takes a while for the user to find out their new ability, time will tell." Kala said. Although there were not many who managed to complete the second awakening, those who did left behind lots of information about the process and the outcome. This is why both Alex and Kala knew about the new ability.

"Alaister, just what element did you awaken? I remember that you had an affinity with the water element and with space-time. Water energy has a gentle feeling attached to it while space-time energy is an illusory white, but the nature of the energy you used earlier was truly overbearing, nothing like the water element or space-time. I even felt the surrounding energy being pulled towards it and then disappearing." said Alex.

"Yes, if I am to describe this energy, I can only say that it has a devouring nature as it seems to absorb every other kind of energy in order to strengthen itself." Alaister said calmly.

"Absurd!" screamed Kala" How can something like this exist? It's just too strange, I've never heard of anything like this before."

"Yes, this is pretty puzzling. Alaister, you should try to find the other mysteries of this energy as soon as possible. I'm afraid that it will be very hard to train you as we don't know anything about your law!" said Alex quite discontentedly and then added" For now you should spend your time in the library as there are still so many things you don't know about the world. I allow you access to all the levels except for the sixth." And then he threw Alaister a badge with the number 5 written on it. After that, both he and Kala left, leaving Alaister alone.

"Hmm, it's not only simple devouring...I can also..." he furrowed his brows and extended his hand. In front of his palm a small water sphere condensed, then it changed with a finger-sized fire snake and then a green light. After a few minutes 9 different kinds of lights were shining in front of Alaister.

"He he..." excitement couldn't be concealed from his eyes as he played around with the 9 spheres of light. 

The second day came and Alaister was standing in front of the pretty small library. The door was opened and he quickly entered. The sight that greeted him was not what he expected. In front of him was a small white stone placed on a metal table. On the left a bald old man with a white mustache seemed to be sleeping in his chair. Suddenly, a voice sounded in his mind.

" Touch the stone and the information on the level one will appear in your mind. As long as you don't go further than 10 meters away from the stone the information will still be accessible."

Alaister took a quick look at the sleeping old man and then resolutely touched the stone. As his hand made contact with it, something like a list appeared before his eyes. The list was very long and contained many topics that Alaister was unfamiliar with.

" What kind of law usage is this? Is this also a formation?" thought Alaister.

" Heh, this is not a formation, it doesn't even have anything to do with laws. This is a device created by the Technological Faction which can store information and then uses electromagnetic pulses to form a bridge between the information stored in it and the human brain in order for us to access it." the voice sounded in his mind again.

" Ah?! How are you reading my thoughts?!" asked the astonished Alaister.

" Not something I would discuss with you kid, read what you came for and then leave." after that the voice stopped.

Alaister then started looking through the list in front of him.

"Distribution of the five main solar systems"

"Theoretical knowledge regarding the appliance of laws in technology"

"Distribution of political power on King planets"

....................

"Eh?" Alaister then stopped as something seemed to have piqued his interest.

"Instructions on completing the Mortal Realm" Alaister quickly selected it as the information appeared in his mind. The Mortal Realm was divided in three stages, Mental Awakening, Law Awakening and Body-Law Tempering. For each of the three, a detailed explanation about the process of advancing was provided.

" The Headmaster said that I am already at the peak of Law Awakening, so I should see what Body-Law Tempering realm is about..." then the information was absorbed into his mind. Body-Law Tempering, as the name suggests, is about using one of the laws that one excels in to form what is called a Combat Body. There were 9 different kinds of Combat Bodies corresponding to the 9 different laws, and each of them had their advantages and disadvantages. For example, the Water Combat Body, the one that Kala posses, has huge regenerative abilities and is very good at defense while it doesn't possess astonishing attack power. The most powerful of the 9 kinds, the Chaotic Combat Body, has the most powerful strength, being the most suitable for prolonged hand to hand fights. There were also very rare cases of combined combat bodies, when the body is tempered by 2 or more laws, but this is very risky because the laws might not be compatible with each other resulting in the violent death of the individual. 

" So all I have to do is to absorb the law in the surrounding space and then let it flow through my body, refining it slowly and transforming it."This is a very slow process and it depends entirely on your law affinity, as your law affinity is higher, so is your absorption speed, thus greatly enchanting the tempering process.

" But I don't have a particular law, all I have is this violet energy which can..." lightning struck Alaister's mind "Right! It can absorb all other laws, this is it! This ability of my violet energy can make up for any law affinity deficiency. It can be said that I have an affinity with all the elements haha!"

"But....what law should I choose to temper my body with?" Alaister entered in deep thought and then his attention shifted to the list in front of his eyes. He started scrolling through it quickly before settling onto a title.

"Strengths and weaknesses of Combat Bodies"

--------------------------------------------

Author's Note: If you guys like it or you have something to add, please do so in the comments, it would be very appreciated.