Chapter 25

The five avengers stared in horror at the sight of their friend. Thor stood behind them, his face a blank slate and his normally bright azure blue eyes were now dull and unfocused. He raised a hand and they stared, transfixed, as his trusted hammer flew back into his outstretched palm. Seeing their horrified expressions, The Other threw its head back and laughed, "This will teach you a lesson mortal scum." The chitauri glared at them, hissing, "You will not interfere with the master's plans."

The Hulk growled, brandishing his fists, ready to attack, but Steve shouted, "Hulk stop!"

The green giant didn't heed the Captain's orders and charged forward, roaring loudly. The chitauri commander remained where it was, grinning all the while.

The Hulk brought his giant fist down –

– Only for it to be blocked by a silver hammer. The avengers watched, stunned to the spot as Thor grunted and heaved, throwing the Hulk off him. The giant didn't back down and roared, charging straight at the god. Thor roared his own battle cry and threw his hammer at his friend the weight slamming the Hulk into several buildings.

Steve was more than horrified. It was one thing for Clint to have been under control back then because he hadn't had the chance to interact with the other. But now, seeing the thunder god fall to those creatures, Steve knew that they had lost. They had underestimated the chitauri, thinking that because they had defeated them once, they could do it again. Steve realized that the avengers had gotten arrogant, thinking that they were more powerful than their opponents. They had fought, and they were outmatched by their enemies in both numbers and tactics. Now, Steve realized, they had never been in control of the situation at all, they were mere puppets dancing along to the tune the way the aliens wanted them to.

With a heavy heart, Steve closed his eyes, turning away from the battle occurring in front of him, "Retreat." He whispered, feeling his team look at him in shock, he opened hardened blue eyes, "Retreat, we need to go. Now!"

Clint cursed and slung his bow across his back sprinting across the street with Natasha at his side and Steve and Tony covering their backs. The two assassins darted into the quinjet, quickly starting up the plane as Steve tumbled into the rear, bringing his shield up to block an attack. He shouted over his shoulder, "Get us to the air now! Tony says he'll fly alongside us."

Clint nodded and buckled up, Natasha doing the same, the two assassins flicked the switch and the jet closed up, rising swiftly into the air. With a bitter taste in their mouth, the jet shot forward, away from the battle they were supposed to win, mocking laughter trailing after them.

The avengers fled the battle, their enemy triumphing over them and two of their own left behind. Steve closed his eyes and muttered a silent apology to Bruce. They couldn't bring the Hulk with them without causing mass destruction and he could only hope that the giant's rage fueled him until he could find a place to calm down, hide, and survive. They had lost Thor already, they couldn't lose Bruce as well.

"Cap?" Tony's voice came over, disbelief and hesitation coloring his tone, "What do we do now?"

Steve sighed, his shoulders slumping in defeat, "Head back to the mansion. We'll figure out a plan from there."

"Roger that."

Loki appeared in front of a huge lake in the Scottish highlands with nary a whisper, the green flash that accompanied his usual appearance and disappearance missing. He close his eyes and breathed in and out lightly, letting the fresh air seep through his body, a refreshing change from the staleness of the underground base. He opened melancholic green eyes, feeling a keen sense of loss like he never did before. The god gritted his teeth, sinking to his knees as the events played over in his mind.