CH 34: Pettiness & Meditation Gone Wrong

Depuis le début

"You couldn't control her? Just this once!" Morgan ran his hands through his hair wildly making me roll my eyes at him. Of course, my brother needed someone to blame for this whole catastrophe.

"Drama! Phew," I heard Brittany breath out through her mouth with wide eyes before huddling with her posse. Probably trying to discuss how to switch the story and tell everyone else  in school tomorrow.

"Really? You choose now to blame me? After you've been a jerk," I gave him an annoyed look.

"Shay couldn't do much-" Ian intervened sounding reasonable.

"The hell are you? Stay out of this," Morgan shot him an even intense glare his eyes flickering with cruelty.

Before I could get a word out, the meeting was adjourned and all the adults filed out of the room and out onto the outdoor terrace where everyone stood chatting loudly above the music.

Not wasting any time, Mayor Sanford clanked his glass to get everyone's attention before his wive stood in front to make the announcement. The interviews were to begin with the boys being held in the West wing and the girls in the East.

"Chop chop! No time to delay," the bulky woman touched her perfectly permed hair, ending with an eruption of giggles making her stomach bounce.

Ian was dragged by the arm by his grandmother who did her signature, "hmph," sound under her breath looking at me with disdain.

Morgan and Marcus were being pulled by the ear when they tried to sidestep the audition. So I guess, we were back to square 1 but now he was the bitter person with a vendetta against me.

I, however was successful managing to sneak away into the foyer away from the queue of chatty females without being noticed. Brittany and a few girls called me, but I said I'd catch up to them later. I figured Jay needed space so I didn't wanna involve her.

I was determined to find out who the person in the black suit was. I knew Reggie was dead. I wasn't crazy. Yet.

"And where do you think you're going young lady? The interviews are in the opposite direction," someone spoke up from behind me.

I had just made it halfway up the stairs when I turned back. Putting on a frantic facade, I saw the town storage keeper, tapping his foot with a raised eyebrow.

I must've looked like a deer caught in head lights. "Mr Matthews! The girls loo was occupied and I was going to use the one upstairs if that's alright." I nonchalantly smiled walking back up the stairs still facing him.

"Well,you'll need these," he tossed me a chain full of keys with different labels winking at me softly, before whistling an old tune and strolling off.

Damn. Now I had pit stains on my dress. Don't judge! Lying makes me sweaty.

Quickening my pace, I located the door where all old files of the founding families records were kept. Jiggling the key nervously, the door clicked open.

Tiptoeing to the large cabinet labeled 'H' I pulling the drawer slowly, flicking through, finally finding the Haynesworth file. I read through quickly but what I discovered was something unheard of. I gasped from shock reeling in my emotions, before someone caught me in here.