1ϟ9

Like in the previous chapters there's A LOT going on in this one. I know that it's hard to keep up when everything is unwinding down but if I'd explain everything into detail this story would be be 4648 chapters long (aka I'm not the best author so everything is a bit confusing). Enjoy the chapter!

comment and all the good stuff.

1.2.2020, Now 

"I couldn't."

"We had a deal, Luke."

It was the first time in forever since Michael called Luke by his name and the younger man would be lying if he said it meant nothing.

"If we both get caught I'll plead as guilty and take the responsibility for the heist. If you get caught I'd do the same. If only I would get caught you wouldn't have to give yourself in. I was okay with that. I was not okay with you making a deal with Calum and then not coming to the trial. At all."

Luke nodded understanding and remembering the deal they've made.

"I told Calum I'll come and testify for you. Then they'd probably arrest me and you'd get a lower sentence and so would I."

"After you were arrested I stayed low but the police found me and they've brought me in for questioning. That was after I and Calum had talked. They presumed I knew something because your uncle told them we were a couple and they've also said it had to be a two men job. I knew my rights but they kept me there for seventy-two hours. I'm not sure what their deal was, maybe that I would break under the pressure or something. I didn't."

He looked up at Michael to see what his reaction would be. There was none.

"What I did was pass out. I felt uneasy since when you were arrested but I just presumed the stress got to me. I was taken to the hospital where they hooked me up to infusion for a couple of hours and then kept me in overnight. They weren't sure what was wrong but the problem was I couldn't call Calum and told him. The police would know I was communicating with your lawyer and I didn't want to get my stepparents involved, I hope you understand that."

"Of course," Michael answered. Michael's only family was his mother but it only made him appreciate her more. "But why didn't you tell the police? The plan you've made with Calum didn't have to go directly through the judge, the police would have the same effect."

"I wanted to. When they've brought me in I decided to keep them waiting for a bit before spilling the truth. The moment I got to the police station I've seen the head of the FBI team that was on your case. I instantly recognized him as the man who played golf with your uncle."

Michael's face went solid white.

"It's not like I'd just give up because of that. I just had to rethink the entire plan and you know I'm not stupid. I would come up with something."

"Like not talking to me ever again?"

Michael's words didn't hurt Luke as much as his sour smile did.

"I had a good plan. Going straight to the judge's office and telling him everything. I thought the FBI research was compromised. But then your mum came to visit me at the hospital."

If it'd be as Luke had planned, Michael would read about these moments in his letters. Luke wouldn't have to see the hurt look on Michael's face when he mentioned his mum.

"What did she said?"

Luke had to swallow the tears that were caused by both the thought of Karen and having to see the love of his life tearing up.

"She said that we're stupid but that she was also extremely proud of us. She both slapped me and thanked me."

Michael smiled. The facial movement caused the tears to fall down his face. "That sounds like her."

"The doctor came to my room when she was there and they still weren't sure why I was sick. When he left she told me to not do anything more stupid like turning myself in."

Michael frowned. "Why?"

"She thought I may be pregnant," Luke whispered.

And Luke had seen many facial expressions of both horror and sadness on Michael's face that evening but that one was the one he'd remember forever.

"Karen said to wait for the results, keep with the plan of not contacting you or Calum and that if needed she'd contact the both of you."

"Luke... Are you messing with me?"

"You know I wouldn't. In the end, it turned out to be an infection. I only learned that after your mum got worse and then I stayed out of jail to be with her. I presumed that it was what you would want."

It was a lot to take in and Luke didn't mind the silence for the next few minutes. Michael had a lot to process and a lot to learn in one evening.

"Why didn't you ever tell me that? Or why didn't mum? I've seen her two times after I went to prison."

"Well, that would take us to the second part of this story. She did tell you. Like I, she wrote you a letter because at that point I still couldn't reach out to you or Calum so she promised to explain everything to you. The problem was the letter to you together with my letter to the judge never reached either."

"What? Why?"

"Your uncle and cousin. They've been keeping an eye on you for years. Your every move has been under the control of your family. When I realized that I searched through your apartment, your car I've found at least half a dozen bugs."

"What the fuck? What cousin?"

Luke chuckled. "The funny thing is I've once noticed they looked alike but I never gave it much thought. After you went to prison I started keeping an eye on your uncle, trying to compromise the case against you I've seen him walk out from his house."

"Noticed who?"

"Jace."

ϟϟϟ

Michael's uncle is trash who agrees?

Thoughts?

Luke thought he was pregnant?

Do things make more sense?

Love, Lucija ♡