1ϟ6

The sadness continues but we're getting closer to the BIG DATE.

1.2.2020, Now

With fear, Michael opened the next letter. He knew the part that was coming. He lived through it. Luke was writing about his life from a different perspective.

Autumn came sooner than any of us wanted.

It was awful, (babe)* Michael. I felt so helpless but helpful at the same time.

Never before in my life did I have to take care of someone who wasn't me. We both know I was kind of rubbish at that in the first place. While you were trying to keep your mother alive I was making sure you were living as well.

You took time off of work and I had to take care of the bills. Had to make sure you ate and.. I tried my best Mikey. I'd make love to you so you'd forget about real life and I know it wasn't healthy. Our relationship went from best to the worst.

I still loved you of course and you loved me. It was like a trial round for us to see if we'd make it. And I was trying hard.

Your mum wasn't getting any better. She had an operation but it wasn't successful.

Your birthday came and that was probably the last time I saw you properly smile.

December and January were the worse. We just kept waiting for Karen to be strong enough to go through another operation. You went back to work and came home dead tired.

That day I came home and you were pissed drunk.

You were never one to drink away the pain so I knew something was wrong.

12th of February, 2018, 31 days before

"Michael!" Luke shouted and ran to the older man who was passed out on the couch.

Light snore escaped Michael's lips and Luke was finally able to breathe again. Michael reeked of alcohol and there was half empty bottle of whiskey on the table,

"Mikey." He now called again quietly, shaking him awake.

Michael's eyes were blood red and Luke knew he was crying. He feared the worst has happened.

"What's wrong?" Already prepared for mourning Luke pressed Michael against his chest.

"Bastards." Michael spat out. "Every single one of them!"

In a matter of seconds, Michael went from barely awake to a roaring madman.

"Who?" Luke questioned. "What had happened?"

"They've said no." Michael's eyes stared helplessly at Luke. "She finally became strong enough for another operation so I went to the board meeting. I just got a call from the hospital that there was a donor available they just needed to know I could pay for the expenses of the operation. They've said that they've helped enough. Th-they called me a fucking leech. My own uncle said no to my face. No to saving his brother's one true love, no to keeping the mother of his nephew alive."

Devastation. Sadness. Anger.

That's what Luke felt when he looked at the love of his life. When he realized he wasn't able to keep him happy.

"We'll get the money. I'll get the money, Michael. I'll take my step-sister's scholarship and I-I'll take some job offers. Maybe we could get a loan.."

"It won't be enough."

It was the truth. The chances were small and the operation was expensive.

This time when Michael started crying Luke did as well. He hugged the older man and rocked him back and forth as sobbed against his shoulder. Exhausted from crying and still a bit drunk Michael fell asleep.

Luke took the opportunity and went to his laptop, but not before undressing Michael and covering him with a blanket.

He definitely wasn't stupid. Luke was well prepared for the worst after the first operation didn't end up how they've all wanted. Being a realist and a know it all, Luke knew all the percentages of how likely it was for Karen to pull through.

All of that didn't make him any less mad. He wasn't just mad he was furious.

He searched through the offers he got weekly from people who wanted to use him for their work. Luke called and wrote to every single one of them. The bigger jobs didn't want him anymore while the smaller would be a waste of time.

Blue eyed man cursed himself as he thought about spending all the money he had saved for their vacation. He now knew it would be better spent.

That didn't stop him from searching for different opportunities. Humanitarian organizations couldn't help, it was too late to get her on any list or to realistically get help.

Luke applied for every high stake lottery game he could find.

Somehow he made it to the Casino's website.

The biggest game of the year

There's no way they'd let him play. Even if he'd qualify through online poker the board wasn't that stupid.

His eyes kept stopping on the prize.

2,000,000

Luke was aware he was the smartest person he knew. Luke also had Michael, whose computer skills were out of this world. And they had a reason to do it.

In a matter of seconds, he was shaking Michael awake.

"Mikey. I found a way." Luke pushed his computer in Michael's lap.

"Luke they'll never let us win this money."

"That's why we're stealing it."

ϟϟϟ

*the (babe) should be crossed but wattpad doesn't allow that edit*

Dum dum dum dum.

If you know me you all know how anti-sad fics I am. But I've thought about this plot for months and this was needed so this story was able to happen.

Thoughts?

Are the letters good way to break down the past?

Any new theories?

Love, Lucija ♡

vote vote vote comment comment comment