Chapter 20: Breached

~~~~~

Later that afternoon, Chi was outside the resthouse, training her injured ankle. She imagined Annie in battle with her; she imagined pummeling that wretched girl's body, taking revenge for all of the fallen soldiers who'd been killed by her.

Her intentions? Chi still didn't know. She wracked her mind frantically for something—anything—as a clue for what she had intended to do by going after Eren. The only thing that came to mind was that one boy. The boy who could morph into one of those vile creatures.

But then rose another question: why did she want Eren? Why did she go through so many people and put herself at such risk in attempt to capture Eren?

Bitterness flared in her chest as Chi furrowed her brows and struck harder at the air, making sure to keep weight off of her ankle. Wasting no effort on useless hobbling, she skipped through the suffering and continued onward, ignoring the spikes that shot up her ankle whenever she took a single step.

"Chi!" a frantic voice called, interrupting her intense training. She relaxed her body and straightened her figure, stretching an arm behind her head.

"Yes?" she answered, turning to find a young girl who looked not even a few years younger running up to the field, an extremely disgruntled look on her face.

"L—Levi Heichou would like to see you!"

"Hm? Why?"

"I—I'm not sure, but it's urgent! Please, see to him as soon as possible!"

Cautiously, Chi nodded and hobbled back into the building. She followed the girl through the wooden doorway, creeping deeper into the hollow building. Every now and then, the girl would steal a quick glance backwards at the golden-eyed girl, nervously fidgeting with her hands. Every time Chi would catch her eyes, she'd quickly turned away.

A tad miffed, Chi finally found Levi when she turned around the corner, his back against the wall with his arms crossed, his eyebrows knit tightly together as if he were deep in thought.

"Levi," Chi called, the girl leaving her side to scamper off elsewhere. "You called?"

His head shot up and he looked at her, rushing over. He grabbed her shoulders and scanned his cobalt eyes up and down her frame, stress faded in their light.

"What have you been up to?" he questioned, giving her shoulders a light squeeze. "Trying to worsen your injury, I assume?"

"No," Chi lied, faking a tight smile. "Beside that, what did you need? Did something urgent happen?"

Levi shot her a suspicious look before continuing. "Wall Rose has been breached," he said in a grave tone.

"What?"

"I know you heard me, idiot. You need to come with me." He tugged on her sleeve and began rushing away.

Chi cried out in protest and dug her heels into the floor, ridden with confusion. "Wait, what? Go with you where?"

"Herhima District, then Wall Rose. But we're steering clear of titans." He grabbed her hand again and led her outside where the sun was just beginning to set, ribbons of deep purple lacing the gradient, orange sky.

"What? Why?" Chi continued to inquire, demanding every answer out of him. "Levi, I have to go to where the titans are. I have to fight."

"With that ankle?" he scoffed, continuing to make his way to a wagon holding five others, led by horses. "Hell no."

"Hell, yes. Levi, if I don't go, imagine how many other people will die!"

"Yes, and you could be one of them. You already know I dislike unnecessary bloodshed. It pains me to see how many lives will be lost—but if you come with me, there's a way we can save the entire body of humanity."