Chapter 3

If you guys have the time, I would love if you checked out my one-shot books! I have another draft in the works for a new book but I'm not 100% sure if I want to publish it or not.

Also, have you guys listened to PRETTYMUCH? I love their stuff tbh.

/

Wading my hands in the water, my chin rested on the surface of my board. I peered at the vacant ocean around me, watching as the sun barely peeked up from behind the horizon. It was dawn, which made surfing the perfect getaway since it was so quiet and peaceful, especially as early as it was. I sighed at the small waves tossing me around, my eyes briefly closing at the calm sensation. Picking my body up to straddle my board, I decided it was time to get out and swim back to shore.

Thinking about the party that Camila had invited me to, I wasn't so sure if I wanted to go. I've never entirely been one to go to parties where there's a high possibility that everybody would get fucking wasted, it's just not me. I've been around that type of scene before and I never liked it. I mean sure, I can have fun when the mood is right.. but I don't know. It can't be horrible, right?

I sighed, drying off my hair and laying the towel neatly across the driver's seat. Checking if my surfboard was strapped properly, I begun driving back home so I could take a shower and get ready for school. Today was finally Friday– which meant the party was tonight. Maybe it would be a good way to ease my mind and hopefully meet a good majority of people, I could use a couple more friends than the few people I currently knew.

"Aloha! You're listening to 102.7 DaBomb with all the hits now! I'm Malia, and I'll be playing some of the most requested songs for this mornin'! First we've got 'Too Good At Goodbye's' by Sam Smith! Stay tuned for more on 102.7!"

The unique voice of Sam Smith began to blare through the speakers of my jeep, making me bob my head a bit to the beat as I took a couple of turns and eventually reached a stop light.

You must think that I'm stupid,
You must think that I'm a fool,
You must think that I'm new to this,
But I have seen this all before,

As always, my mind began to race at the saddest thoughts. I'll never understand the purpose of leaving home to be here. Isn't it crazy? I mean sure, it was to get away from my parents and their endless banter of disagreements, but all families go through that, right? Maybe I was unwanted, or maybe I was too much to care for. Huffing, I rolled my neck a little to release the slight stiffness.

"(Y/N) honey, go up to your room. Your father and I have to talk about something. And don't worry, I can handle cleaning the dishes, okay? You just get your homework done and head to bed." My mom said, offering a small smile as she caressed the side of my face. Truthfully, I was worried. The woman that stood in front of me looked so worn out, her eyes drooped with exhaustion. I nodded hesitantly, leaning forward to lay a small kiss on her forehead before pulling away.

"Okay mama, I love you."

"I love you more, (Y/N)."

Something inside me knew the consequences of every argument my parents had ever shared. It was always, "Why are you always late coming home?" Or, "Why can't you just help around the house? Even small things do something!" But deep down, it felt like there was more to it than that.

"(Y/FN), just please.. Please be honest with me." My mom sobbed. I sat crouched at the case of stairs, away from the eyes of them both so I could secretly eavesdrop. This one time, I wanted to know what made our family slowly fall apart. I wanted to stop the shouting every night, I wanted to stop hearing the late night shuffling by my door.