Reflection

In the evening of my first day, just before dusk, I hear a huge explosion. At least it sounded like one. You see, I was sat down with my new friend - my only friend - Alby, carving some tools for building when I hear the noise. It sends a deep shiver down my aching back. I dread to think of the monsters lurking within the maze, that would probably attack and kill us if that wide opening didn't seal itself. I mean, why put monsters in when they want you to survive? I don't get it.

"What's the plan for tomorrow?" I question Alby. He looked up from his carving.

"I think we should start you with the running in the morning, when the maze reopens itself. Then be back in plenty of time before it closes obviously. Though we'll run together so I don't loose you." Alby said.

"We doing that all day?" I ask.

"No, I think we should start growing some food. Before the Winter, I know Autumn is a long way away but we should be prepared." Alby says, sure of himself.

Funny that, isn't it? We can't remember anything about our past lives, who were our parents, what about our extended family etc. We still know how to talk and walk, we know about seasons and times. I suppose we can't physically and mentally function without knowing these things. They are pieces of knowledge that naturally come with being a human. We would definitely die if those skills and more got wiped from our minds.

"Alby," I say, then pause. "What do I look like? Like my face?" I ask curiously. I'm not looking for an 'omg you're so handsome'. I'm just looking for a description.

"Take a look in this mirror." He tossed me a shard of a mirror.

I look into this shard of mirror. I see my reflection of what seems for the first time. I see a boy, well, me, with messy, dusty blonde hair. It's shortish hair but quite thick all around. I've got dark brown eyes. I tilt my head a little. I seem okay. No spots or blemishes or cuts. I thank Alby and give him back the mirror.

"It's getting dark. Really dark. Let's build a fire." I comment.

Alby nods and he pulls me up of my dingy, sludge- brown hammock that came with this month's measly supplies. I gather firewood whilst Alby gets a sharp flint or rock or blade of some kind. The firewood is heavy and my back pain is niggling slightly now, just above my hips. Me and Alby then arranges the firewood in a criss-cross shape, kind of like that old Jenga game. Alby sets a spark going at first. It's not a huge spark. Just a little. And the fire wasn't big to begin with. Over the next minute or so of content silence and peace the flickering flame roars on. As it's cooler now the fire is comforting, warm. I now think the fire is now my fire. The fire of hope, determination, passion. The fire of my soul. And I'm afraid, but my fire, it's still roaring on. The night is freezing, like I'm laying in a bath full of ice cubes. The fire is of course warm but I'm still awake when the golden embers are slowly dying. I close my eyelids. They feel so heavy.

Hey guys, it's me! This chapter is really short I know. But, this chapter is just a filler and the previous chapter is an introduction chapter. The Newt love story 'begins' next chapter so keep reading and tell me what you think!