Chapter 19: Laughter

Start from the beginning

But suddenly, I was torn away from its grip and my back hit the ground again. The air inside of my lungs was knocked out instantly, and I gasped sharply. Pain ricochetted up and down my spine, my sense of feeling and touch overtaking the numbness.

The next time I opened my eyes I still saw the fist of the tall creature - but now, in its fingers, instead of me, it was the man. His features were displaying pure regret and sorrow, his lips pulled back into a grimace. At that moment, I don't know why I did, but I cried out.

"Levi!"

Then, it all came flooding back into my head. That big creature was a titan. A man-eating, vile, digusting, gruesome titan that ate people - people like me, humans who could do almost nothing against the wretched things. And in its hand was the person I cherished most in all of that hellish world; Levi. The person he called Chi - it really was me.

Levi was struggling in the grasp of the titan, spewing curses and trying frantically to free the arms that were pinned to his sides - but the titan only tightened its grip and I heard the crisp cracking of bones, followed by wails of pain. Shivers crossed my skin as his cries echoed all the way to my ears, a single tear slipping from Levi's eyes. It fell and splashed on my cheek, mixing with my blood.

"Levi!" I shrieked, my own tears beading at the corners of my eyes. I tried desperately to move my body, to do anything at all to get to him; but my body stayed as still as a stone. "No! Levi!"

"Chi!" he yelled, nearing the titans mouth at a dangerously fast rate. "Live on! Get out of here!"

"Levi, no! Stop, please, don't - don't leave me! I'm - I'm scared!" Tears cascaded down the sides of my face so quickly, my vision was blurred again. Why couldn't I move? Pain was eminant, spreading from the millions of injuries across my broken body.

"Hurry!" he commanded. "Leave, now! Before it gets you, too! Please, live! For me!" His body entered the titan's wet, cavernous mouth.

"No, don't leave! Levi, please!"

"Go!"

The next few moments were silenced by the roaring of blood in my ears, everything continuing to happen in slow motion. My eyes widened as the titan brought down its jaw and chomped on his torso, breaking apart his mangled body and seperating it into two bloody bits.

As the titan snacked on my lover, I could only watch in horror. The only things that left my mouth were sobs - angry, furious, pitiful sobs of horrible regret, screaming, and ribbons of curses that were meant for the horrid beings.

"LEVI, NO!"

~~~~~

~Third Person's P. O. V.~

Chi was awoken by rough shaking. Taking a quick, sharp breath, her eyes snapped open and she sat up.

"LEVI!" she screamed. With jerky movements, she felt up and down her torso and face to find there was no blood staining her body, and no tears spilling down her face. The only wounds she bore were the ones that she'd recieved on her fall off the roof of a building.

"Chi?" a smooth, low voice spoke beside her. Real tears sprang to her eyes as she turned slowly to see a groggy, half-awake Levi propped up on one elbow, rubbing his eye tiredly. "Are you alright?"

"L - Levi..." she choked out, trying to keep in the tears that threatened to spill over. "You're... alive...!"

"No, I'm dead." He sat up too.

"No, I mean you're - you're - " She wrapped her arms around him and squeezed him tightly, expelling all of the air from him. "Oh my god, you're alive. You're really alive. I was dreaming. I was dreaming. You're alive...!"