chapter 8

Chris watched her as she picked the berries with her mom,he wanted to go for a walk by the lake and he wanted her to accompany him so he walked over to the garden.

Her mom left her standing by the garden all by herself when she spotted him coming their way. He stared at her back as she received a call. He couldn't hear much but he definitely heard her say miss you too.

His chest hurt with jealousy,whoever that was,she missed him or she ,did she not want to be here? That person might have been the one keeping her company all these years. He thought.

He had no right to be jealous,or did he?. Mia turned to him. It looked almost as if she was shocked or hiding something.

" hey,didn't see you there" she said rubbing her palms frantically on her jeans. She was trying to stop her hands from twitching. He noticed. She couldn't fool him,he knew her more than she knew herself. He chuckled.

" everything alright? Cause you looked kinda ...."

" yea,I'm fine,why wouldn't I be?" She pretended to pick more berries.

" so I was wondering if you would like to go for a walk down by the lake" he placed his hands in his pocket. She hoped he hadn't heard anything from the call. She pondered on her thoughts not listening to him.

" sorry ,what?, I didn't hear you"

" a walk,I wanted us to go for a walk down by the lake...so..."

"Sure,I don't see why not" she had totally forgotten about the lake,her most favourite spot in fox hood creak. She hadn't been down there in years.

"Let me just drop these by the kitchen" she bolted to the house with the basket of berries.

****

Mia and Chris raced to the lake but as always Chris won. She giggled so heartily, she hadn't laughed like this in a long time. She remembered the last time they came to the lake.

As usual Chris beat her to the lake and he laughed at her. She always hated it when he beats her at sports but one thing she always won at was a Cook off . He could never outrun her skills in the kitchen and she was glad.

" not fair,you totally cheated"

",its not my fault you have short legs, maybe one day when you get taller you'll actually....who am I kidding you can never beat this" he turned around as they both laughed.

"Not fair ,you cheated..you always do"she pouted like a child.

" I didn't cheat,its not my fault you have short legs" they both laughed. The lake still looked exactly the same,
She closed her eyes as she breathed in the cold air. He watched her amazed at how much she loved coming here.

" time to go for a swim" Chris pulled his black T-shirt over his head in a flash. He moved to remove his pants when his eyes flicked to hers, she turned away like it was nothing.

Without hesitation,he pulled them off leaving his briefs on. Jumped into the lake before she could blink. Her entire body shook as she looked down on his clothes. It wasn't like it was a foreign act.

He always did this whenever they went for a swim. But somehow,everything seemed different. At least she was different. She was always shy in front of him back then but no more.

She tried to convince herself that there was nothing to be ashamed of. After all,he'd seen her all. She didn't want to act like the naive 17 year old anymore. They were adults now.

"Aren't you coming in" he asked watching her. Yes she wanted to just take her her shirt off and jump in the lake like him but she couldn't.

The last time she was that exposed to him ,something happened and he thought of it as a mistake. She couldn't let it happen again.