CHAPTER 4: And You Are?.....

KATIE

        "Ugh." I said while rolling my eyes at an over excited Adrian as he's cheering like a teenage girl that just saw her new car, while he's looking at me wearing the first dress in almost forever that shows off my curves, beautifully. Or at least, that's what he says.

        "Oh stop it. Don't be a child. You look fine as hell girl!" He tells me.

        "I can't believe you talked me into going to this stupid traditional thing." I told him as I grabbed my purse off the table. "Well, let's get this over with."

        "Mhmm." Adrian says to me while we're heading out the door, towards his car. "And don't act like you aren't happy or excited to see Adam." He says with a grin.

        "Right. Like he would show up." I tell him, who still thinks that Paul will come back for me.

         We got into the car and he began driving over.

*****************************************

        As we are walking through the halls, I begin getting flashbacks of all the bad memories I had here.

       The closer we got to the gym's double doors, I felt more nervous. Which Ethan knew and quietly told me in my ear, "You look beautiful. And remember, like Drew Barrymore said in Ever After, 'Just breathe'." He smiles at me while I smile back.

        I take his advice and take in a deep breath. Then while letting out my breath, Adrian opens up the doors. 'Here we go.' I thought to myself.

        After walking inside, the doors shut behind us.

        Both Adrian and Ethan are holding hands as I'm walking behind them.

        They have no problem smiling and waving at everyone while also saying 'hi'.

        As much as I admired their confidence, I still felt like I did in high school. Nervous and like I don't belong here and need to leave.

       I mean, the last time I was in here, was during Senior Prom. And of course, that was a nightmare. Except for the whole me and Adam losing our virginity to each other.

      'Oh my god. Stop it Katie! Stop thinking about him. He left you.' I told myself.

       "You okay?" Adrian asks me, which catches my attention and makes me snap back to reality.

       "Um. Yeah. I'm fine. I think I'm just gonna go and get a drink. I'll catch up with you guys later." I tell them.

       "Alright." Ethan and Adrian says while they head towards the crowd of people that are dancing.

       I make my way to the bar and order a whiskey sour. After the bartender hands the glass to me, I start taking small sips from it.

       Then as I look over towards my right, I see a guy, standing at the end, looking me up and down while taking a drink from his glass.

       He kind of looks familiar. But, can't seem to figure out of who.

       So I look away and start watching Adrian and Ethan dancing together. Which made me wish I had found somebody to be happy with, like they were and both Martha and George are.

      With that thought, I shoot back the rest of my drink, turn around and ask for another one.

      Right as the bartender hands me my second glass, I start going back to just sipping it.

      I then feel like somebody is looking at me, except, as I think it was that guy at the other end of the bar still, I see he isn't there anymore. So I go back to looking around then I hear a familiar guy's voice.

       "Can I have another?" I hear him say, behind me.

       I turn around, though I know I probably shouldn't. And I see the guy who was at the end of the bar a few minutes ago checking me out.

       "Adam?" I asked him as he's looking at me smiling.

      "Yeah. It's me." He smiles. 

      "Oh my god." I replied under my breath.

       "You look beautiful." He says while taking a step closer.

       I don't know why I did, what I did next but I couldn't help but feel what I have always felt for him, but suddenly, that feeling is replaced with anger, but mostly hurt. So I just throw my drink in his face and slam my glass onto the bar table then start walking away.

       I tell Adrian and Ethan goodnight and that I'll see them later, but that I needed to leave.

       They didn't ask questions just said goodnight and I headed out.

*****************************************

        When I woke up this morning, I started thinking that maybe that was all a dream. That last night wasn't real. That he wasn't here in town. It was all a dream.

       Sure, he kind of looked and sounded like Adam, but it wasn't him.

       I start trying to get my mind off of last night as I finish getting ready for work.

*****************************************

       When I arrived at work, I saw that there were a couple of people already sitting down.

        Then after putting my things in my locker in our 'break room', I headed out front to begin working.

        As I heard the bell go off as it opened, I looked up and noticed it was the guy from last night.

       'Shit!' I thought to myself. I feel so embarrassed about what I did last night in throwing my drink in his face.

       I watch as he removes his sunglasses with a smile. Which while our eyes are locked onto each other's, I suddenly am convinced, it was not a dream. He really is here.

      Adam, the man I loved, that I was supposed to run away with, was standing several feet away from me and started walking towards me. Which luckily, the counter was separating us.

      Shit, I can't do this. I quickly turn around and head towards the break room.

       I begin taking a few deep breaths and try to keep myself from crying while also trying to fight away the feelings that are trying to make their way back to my heart. Which fucking butterflies.

      I hear the door open and am relieved when I see it's Martha.

      "Are you alright?" She asks me.

      I nod my head. "Yeah. I'm fine. I just..." I began but was cut off.

      "Is it cause Adam is here?" She asks me.

      "Yeah. I just, I don't think I can see him." I tell her.

      "Well, I think you should give him a chance to explain himself. That way, you hear from him what happened and you can move on along with deciding if rather or not, you would like to give him another chance." She says with a small smile.

       "You are such a romantic." I told her which made us both share a laugh together.

       "Of course I am. Without love, life would be boring." She smiled at me as she places a kiss on my forehead.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)