A Failure

Avni was sleeping fitfully in heat and with rodents scurrying all around her. It was not something she was not used to though. It was the stuff of her nightmares, just like the dark room that her grandmother Dayawanti Mehta had locked her into. She woke up from one of the many nightmares she saw that night.

Avni was hungry as well. But she didn't expect any food from her captors. She knew that they anyways want to kill her after they're done with  eliminating Neil. So why would they feed a captive on death row?! She wished they would give some water though. It was really hot.

She tried to stretch to the extent she could and felt a sharp pain where the errant boy had kicked her. She swore under her breath.

She heard some rustling outside and the flimsy door opening again. She got alert but pretended to sleep so that her captors don't disturb her. It seemed one person came inside and closed the door.

Avni was panicking internally now. Who was this guy? It didn't seem like Vikram had entered. She thought about the servant who attempted to rape her and sweat multiplied on her forehead. She still pretended to sleep.

Someone came in and touched her feet carrying their hand on the ankles where she had been tied up. Then she felt a known hand on her forehead. She could have recognized that touch anywhere.

Avni -"NEIL!!"

Neil -"shhhh..". And then he hugged her, tied as she was! Neil looked around and quickly opened her knots.

Avni spoke quietly now -"Neil they know you're coming. They have taken me to lure you out here. They want to kill you. Please run away Neil!"

Neil -"pehle ye batao. Kaisi ho? Kahin chot lagi Hai kya?" (First tell this. How are you. Are you hurt anywhere)

While saying this neil was gently massaging her hands and legs where rope knots were tied too tightly to improve circulation. He could see the rope had cut through her skin at places and it had become raw pink. He tried to be as gentle as he could. 

Avni -"I'm OK Neil. Don't worry. But I knew you'll come so I was worried for what they will do to you "

Neil looked at her for the first time in her eyes. She was actually concerned about him even in this state herself!

Neil got emotional even in that situation. He embraced her and held her close to him.

He put his hand on her back and head as if to steady both of them in sometime. And then said -"Avni... Main shayad sabse zyada pyaar tumse karta hoon. Zitna pyaar tumne mujhse kiya hai itna to meri mom ne bhi nahi kiya. You're the single most important person in my life. " (..I love you the most. You've loved me so much that no one has done it. Not even mom..)

Avni laughed at it despite herself -"how can you compare different kinds of love Neil"

Neil smiled too -"oh but I can! With you I can. You've sacrificed yourself so many times for what is right by me. You've been so much hurt. And now. Even I've hurt you. I failed you. Wasn't able to give you time"

Avni started to speak but Neil cut through -"no avni. Let me speak. I've decided something. Once I take us out of this situation. I'll quit police force. I want to give time to you and not to anything else which will take my time with you away!"

Avni -"but Neil this is your passion!"

Neil -"you are my passion avni. And i don't want to fail you again "

Avni sighed. They would discuss this later. Right now it was time to escape!