End of the night

Neil woke up around half an hour later after having dozed off. Ananya was still sleeping peacefully in his arms. Rains had stopped and just a light drizzle was on.

Neil readjusted his neck, having slept off in a most uncomfortable position. Then he looked at Ananya again, she was sleeping carefree. Neil thought of waking her up and before he could nudge her, something horrendous caught his eye.

No, it could not it be a bullet!!

Ananya's top had slipped a little as she slept and what neil was seeing now was clearly a bullet wound. Not a birth mark or something but clearly a deep and old bullet wound right above her heart. Neil traced the wound with her hand. There was no doubt about it.

This changed Neil's perception of things. Ananya had gone through much more than she had told him. Who was she? Where had she come from? Who had done this to her? Ananya could hardly be twenty five years old right now. Then how come such an old bullet wound was on her.

Did someone tried to kill such a small child? She had said her mother died in an accident. Was it really an accident then? Is her life still in danger?

Neil was lost in these and many other questions when suddenly he yelled in pain. Ananya had woken up and slapped his hand away. And now she was looking at him in anger.

Ananya (almost shouting) -"Neil khanna. What the hell do you think you're doing you pervert! "

Neil lost his act and immediately came out of his trance.

He fumbled as he spoke -"ananya. I'm sorry. I mean it wasn't as it looked I swear. Pls.."

Ananya (cutting Neil's sentence in anger) -" you are swearing what neil! Jo Maine dekha Aur feel kiya wo galat Hai kya? I was sleeping having trusted you for God's sake!"( What I saw and felt, was that wrong?)

Neil closed his eyes and then opened them in semi-anger. He couldn't afford ananya to think ill of him or to doubt the purity of his feelings for her right now. His sole focus was to know what happened to her and to keep her safe.

He held her by her shoulders -"ananya. ANANYA!"

Ananya grew quiet at seeing anger in Neil's eyes and his seriousness. But she was still angry and confused after waking up.

Neil continued -"you think I would do anything to harm you ananya? You doubt and don't trust me even now? Ananya I know why you feel so insecure. You're a girl living alone. But trust me and allow me to explain myself at least. Don't you owe that to us?"

Ananya calmed down -"what do you think is left to explain Neil?"

Neil -"that I did not..and that I cannot hurt you. That I can't touch you romantically without your permission. That I can't see you sad ever because of me. And it's..It's obvious isn't it. That I love you...Ananya. "

Ananya had expected Neil to defend himself but not this. She was a bit shaken. -"Neil.."

Neil -"Ananya. I love you. And it's OK if you don't love me. I'm not going to impose anything. But I'll protect you. Forever. From whoever did this to you. I will find him. And I will punish him.."
Neil was pointing to ananya's bullet wound as he said this. She realized every thing then. That why Neil was behaving the way he was, he was not touching her but he was just checking out her bullet wound. She immediately covered her wound and looked away from Neil. She tried to get up but Neil held her arm and again pulled her down to be with him.

He cupped her cheeks -"Ananya. Kuch to bolo.. Or do you still doubt me?"(Say something)

Ananya didn't say anything. She kept looking down. And then she got up again, this time pushing Neil back. And she left in the drizzle to go to her home all by herself with Neil looking after her.. And then Neil got up and walked after her to ensure she reached home safely and latched her door from the inside.

And then he returned  with heavy steps...