Aii dil hai mushkil (It is difficult, my heart)

Neil ensured all was in place for Avni and then asked her to take the sponge bath. He stepped out of the bathroom. He requested her to keep the latch open in case she ever needs his help and she agreed. It was so far, so good!

Neil was sitting in the room going through his messages when he heard Avni's voice.

Avni had tried to take the sponge bath but had failed in step one only, which was to tie her hair on the top of her head. She thought it is a harmless enough thing to take Neil's help for and had called him.

Neil stepped inside and saw her trying to tie her hair so that it does not get wet while taking the bath. Wordlessly, Neil took the hairband from Avni and started collecting her hair. He noticed she had not been able to comb it well all this while and they had become tangled. He made a mental note of how to deal with the same later.

After tying the hair Neil started to leave but saw Avni uncomfortably meddling with her top buttons. Neil sighed, he needed to step up here. He did not know how they would do it, but it was essential.

Neil - "Avni.."

Avni looked up at him.

Neil - "Do you trust me with yourself?"

Avni - "I do..I mean what do you mean to ask Neil?"

Neil - "It is just that..", and then he stepped to her as she was sitting on a ledge and sat down below her, Neil took her hand and tried to talk intently - "Avni.. I hope you will not misunderstand me. I .. I know I have lost the status of a husband in your eyes, but avni.. tum ne hi ek dost ka darza diya hai mujhe.. And you have put your trust in me as a friend, that is why we are living together and I am able to take care of you.. still" (you only have given the status of a friend to me)

"Avni.. I do not how to say it but.. Can you allow me to help give you a sponge bath. We know it is a necessity. We know we do not want your wounds to be disturbed or open up. I.. I do not know how but I promise to not make you uncomfortable by any action of mine. To take care of you.. itna haq to hai mere paas.." (I have that much right)

Avni looked moved at this. Had she been thinking practically about the boundaries she wanted to maintain with Neil she would have said no to his offer. But both her and Neil were now thinking from the same lens..

Avni nodded her head - "I trust you.. Go ahead"

Neil gave her a sad smile and said thanks.

He then asked her to just sit and relax. She was wearing pyjamas and a top as it was comfortable for her to rest.

Neil unbuttoned her top from the front. Then he looked into her eyes and seeing her approval to go ahead he took off her top.

Avni felt weird, she was just in her simplest bra in front of Neil, but still she did not feel ashamed. She did not think she was in front of a stranger. She realised that Neil by his body language was making her comfortable. Neil had that power over people when he wanted. Avni kept sitting quietly..

Next Neil helped her lie back on a chair in the bathroom and then got a sponge. He started sponging Avni after that.

He was indeed not affected by what he saw. He did not see Avni as a semi-naked person, he saw his wife who was hurt deeply. He saw the wound on her stomach and while sponging he took care of not touching it. The wound moved him, the gash was big and deep, it was stitched but reared it ugly head to trouble Avni whenever she tried to stretch..

Neil's eyes filled up with tears. Avni saw the sponge stop and she looked at him.

Avni - "Kya hua Neil?" (what happened)

Neil looked up and Avni saw tears in his eyes.

Neil - "I am sorry .. I just saw your wound and I remembered it.. I wish.. I wish that knife had struck me instead of giving so much pain to you Avni.. ", more tears fell from his eyes as he continued - "Sometimes I wish I were dead Avni instead of your going through all this pain"

Suddenly Avni bent a little forward and held Neil's face in both hands. Neil was surprised and looked at her..

Avni - "Do not say it again"

Neil looked at her inquisitively.

Avni - "Do not ever wish to die again.."

Neil nodded at her. Then he realised she was bending forward and that it might strain her stitches.

Neil - "AVNI!! Please take care.. Aaram se baith jao.. I am sorry I distracted you. Let me finish the job" (Sit comfortably..)

After that Neil focused on ensuring she is sitting painlessly while sponging her. And then finally he took a tower and very lightly patted her dry, as if she was fragile and would break on applying pressure..

Neil helped Avni wear a new top after that and they went out in the room. Avni was looking tired with the strain of sitting for so long.

Neil - "Tum let jao Avni. Just rest on the bed and I will get the remaining medicines" (you lie down..)

Avni lied down and as Neil walked away.. she felt a bond that was tying them together even now. That even she did not want to break. In this moment there was no lust between them, just so much care and love. She did not want to break the moment and had slept off by the time Neil came back..