Love in hospital!

Neil woke up next morning when nurse came in and shook him up. She said doctor is coming for morning rounds and even though sleeping like this near the patient is not allowed, the nurse had allowed it on her own account! She asked him to get the room set up normal before the doctor is in!

Neil gave a grateful semi dimpled smile to the nurse which made her swoon and think of the love of her youth! She really wished this cute couple get well soon!

Neil quickly readjusted the couch back to its place and washed up his face and became more presentable! After all he was in the same clothes that he was wearing when he had been in the car accident, and through so much after that!

Soon the doctor entered, Avni was still asleep and they did not wake her up. Doctor was surprised to see someone with her in the room.

Dr - "Hello.. Mr?"

Neil - "Officer Neil Khanna. Actually I am her husband as well doctor. We were involved in the same accident yesterday.."

Dr - "Yes.. yes.. I see. So Officer tell me what had happened. And anything that can help me in treating your wife"

NEil - "She was in a car accident. Then the same goons kidnapped her and.. and tortured her"

Doctor - "Hmm.. When I saw her in this state I thought she had been through an avalanche! Or she fell down the stairs and then was trampled by a crowd. Seriously who ever hit her like that , was a monster!"

Neil kept quiet listening to this.

Doctor continued - "Officer, she will be fine.. But only if you follow my instructions being her husband. This is a very brave girl. I saw an old wound on her chest..Is that a..?"

Neil - "It is an old bullet wound doctor"

Dr - "Yes. Which is completely healed and looked fine to me now. I am sure it was treated well before. However I need you to ensure that she takes her medicines on time, exercises as is taught to her by her physiotherapist and last but not least of all, she is forbidden to take any tension at all! I cannot afford to have any complications. She will remain under the affect of a lot of painkillers for long and I do not want to prolong her suffering."

Neil - "Noted doctor. Each word you say will be followed.."

The doctor checked Avni for sometime and then left after giving the nurse detailed instructions that Neil too listed to very carefully.

While leaving the doctor said - "Ah Mr.. Officer Khanna, you better get yourself checked up once as well. I can see a couple of contusions and some bruises on you. Lighter of course, still!"

The nurse then left along with the doctor. She then checked Neil and found him to be fine. She asked Neil also to go home and rest as he was slightly injured as well and needed rest to curb his fatigue at the minimum.. But Neil refused to go of course. There was no way he could leave Avni now.

Neil had some food that the nurse had brought him. It seemed the last he had eaten was ages ago! He started eating the food ravenously and suddenly thought that the last time Avni had eaten was with him only. And she would have been so hungry as well right now, had only she been OK. Thinking of all this made it harder for Neil to swallow his morsels, and he kept the half-eaten plate by the side.

He again went and sat by Avni's headrest and took her hand in his own. He kept on looking at her innocent features, marred by the idiots who had hit her..Neil did not realize when he started talking aloud to himself or maybe just to make conversation with an unconscious Avni. His exhaustion had built up and he was not following his chain of thoughts.

Neil - "You know what Avni, jab tum thik ho jaogi, I will take you to a place that I used to visit as a child. I was known as a very non serious and funny boy but when I wanted to be serious and not seen by anyone, I used to go there.. It used to show me realities of life.. made me see beyond my privileged upbringing." (When you'll be OK I'll take u to a place I used to visit as a child)

Neil was speaking disjointed sentences now. His one set of thoughts would not match the next, he was really fatigued but wanted to stay up till he could watching and talking to Avni.

"Avni, tumko pata hai, main kyun nahi so raha.. (and then he whispered as if to himself only) kyunki main darta hoon ki tum.. ki tum phir se kho jaogi..And I cannot lose you again! I cannot take it anymore.." (You know why I'm not sleeping. Because I'm afraid you'll get lost again.)

He kept quiet for some more time, only to speak again.

"Avni tum so rahi ho na.. you know what ..! I like your smile, I want to know when I met you first and came in to your house to support you after our accident together. Did you like me then? (and then Neil grew a bit sad) or were you just flirting with me to seduce me?" (Avni you're sleeping right?)

Neil was behaving drunk now. He pulled the couch again to Avni's seat, of course against the nurse's warnings that morning. And he sat on it, it was more comfortable for sure. He looked at Avni and frowned - "You know what.. you are a bit clumsy. Jab dekho chot laga leti ho.. Apna aur dhyan rakho karo na..". ( You get hurt all the time. Take care)
He then suddenly remembered how she had gotten hurt and went sad. He kept his hand on his cheek and rested his head on it and said - "Oh sorry. Kal to meri galti thi. you were not clumsy, I was baby.. Sorry baby.." (Yesterday was my mistake)

Neil then sat up again and took Avni's hands in his own.. "You know what doctor has said - 'no tension for your wife'! And I will ensure that. I will be very strict with you.. and not let you take any tension.. Oh.. par mere strict hone se tum tension mein to nahi aa jaogi na? Bolo na Avni, bolo na" (you'll not take any tension by my being strict right?)

"Avni kab se so rahi ho, I have been waiting for you to get up.. please aankhen kholo. I want to hear your voice baby.. I am bored.. Utho na wifey please..!" (Avni since when are you sleeping. Pls open eyes....pls wake up)

Suddenly a strict voice broke Neil's stupor!

"Please do not disturb the patient. And I said that keep the couch in place!" - It was the strict nurse again, who was smiling seeing the last of his antics as she entered. She put the couch on the side of the room and made Neil lie down on it. She did not ask him to leave this time as she knew this husband is not going anywhere!

She then injected some more medicines in Avni and left. Neil was about to fall into a deep sleep when he heard a voice moaning softly. A voice he had been dreaming of hearing through the last one hour!

Avni spoke without opening her eyes, and the first word she spoke was - "Neil.."