Ch.20

'What are you talking about?' I asked him confused.

He didn't answer for a couple of minutes, until I heard a bell.

'I'm sorry for making you wait, it's just so not done to call with someone while you're on a visit...' He said afterwards.

'Maxi, what are you talking about? What visit?' I asked again.

He didn't answer again, but it wasn't quiet on the background. Valentina, Michael and I kept on waiting. Until one sound had us all shook.

It was Carolina's soft voice. She said 'hello' to Maxi. He's at Carolina's house. How does he know where she lives?

'Carolina, no, don't let him in!' The three of us started shouting through the phone, but a scream for help from Carolina, made us realize that it was useless.

***

As quick as we could, Michael and I drove to Carolina's house. We arrived and saw nothing. The house seemed empty, the lights were out.

We went to the door, but it was locked.

'How are we going to get in?' Michael whispered.

We were both thinking and then I just smashed the door. It opened very quick. 'Carolina!' I shouted through the house.

'Caro!' Michael started shouting with me.

When we came inside the living room, we noticed Maxi and Carolina. He stood behind her, with a gun pointed at the back of her head. With tears in her eyes she stood there, staring at me.

She was scared, and so was I. Her mouth moved and I could see how she tried to say 'help'.

What can I do? What should I do? He already pulled the trigger. One shot, and she'd be dead. Michael and I looked each other in the eyes, desperately.

'One move, and she's dead, Agus. A second move and I'll shoot your new best friend. You'll be alone. I want you to watch them all die, one by one. Let me say this: you are too late. There's nothing you can do. No, wait, actually you're right at time, because little brunette over here wanted to me her bedroom. You see? She isn't loyal. She'll never stay with you. And this is the price you'll have to pay, for leaving your best friend behind.'

'You are not his friend.' Carolina said to Maxi with a crack of fear in her voice.

'Shut up!' He shouted. She closed her eyes as he put the gun closer to the back of her head.

'Nice gun, my little sister used to play with one like that as well.' Michael said.

'Are you joking? Are you making jokes? What is this, a comedy show?' Maxi asked.

While Michael tried to distract him, I noticed that Carolina opened her eyes again. With her elbow she hit his stomach really hard. He put his gun down to grab his stomach, wich was hurting really bad.

'Slut!' He shouted.

Michael tried to run towards Maxi, to take him down, but at that point, Maxi fired a bullet into Michael's leg. He fell down and tried to stop the bleeding.

He pointed his gun again at Michael, but then I went towards him, to start the fight.

First I hit his face again, very hard with my right fist. He dropped the gun. He pushed me against the wall, and started hitting me in my stomach. Carolina was crying.

'Stop! Don't hurt him!' She screamed.

Michael layed on the floor, hurting and in pain. He needed a doctor.

I gave Maxi a head punch, so I could redeem myself from the wall and his fists.

He fell on the floor and I sat above him. Again, I started hitting him and slapping him with my hands.

Maxi was too strong. Before I even knew: I was pressed against the floor and he sat above me. He started to tangle me again. This time, he wasn't going to stop.

I felt my face becoming red. I was running out of breath. I couldn't fight anymore. It was over, I lost.

'Before you die, I want you to know that I killed your parents. Kind of...' These words... I couldn't breathe and tears started rolling down both my cheecks.

Until I heard a loud bang. Maxi fell onto me. I pushed him away from me and he fell next to me. His blood was everywhere.

I looked up and saw Carolina, holding his gun and still pointing at Maxi's dead body.

Then she fell onto her knees. I creaked towards her, took the gun and layed it on the floor. She was still crying, red and sweating.

I held her in my arms, as tight as I could. She layed her head on my shoulder and started crying even harder.

'I love you.' She sobbed.

I kissed her head, but kept on holding her.

'I love you too.' I whispered.