Chapter 30

"Let's check on our people," I said.

We double checked to make sure there weren't any Saviors left. We had all gathered around and were all still here. Gabriel and Tara had made it inside. We made our way to what I assumed was the back exit. Rick heaved the door open and we exited, still aiming our guns at whatever unseen threat may be lingering. There were some cars that were parked just to the right of us. Heath went ahead and opened one up.

"Hey, you want to just come back with us? Take a couple days before you and Tara go out again?" Glenn asked Heath.

"No, man. I just want to get out of here," he answered.

"Well take care, Heath," I said.

He nodded and went over to the driver's side of the van.

"You okay?" I asked Glenn noticing his sad expression.

"Yeah. I'm okay. You?" he said.

"I'm good," I said.

Tara made her way over to us.

"Hey. Take care of yourself Tara, okay? See you in two weeks. I'll look after Denise for you," I said.

"Thanks, Amelia. You take care too," she said.

I went up and hugged her tightly. I kissed her cheek.

"Love you," I said.

"Love you too," she retorted.

Glenn and her embraced then. Not long after that, Tara and Heath took off. I went over to Daryl.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I am now," he said wrapping his arms around me.

I kissed him. We pressed our foreheads together. I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. We had done it. We'd be okay now. All this was over. There was suddenly an engine that roared to life. Daryl and I parted and looked for where it came from.

"Son of a bitch!" Daryl shouted.

He started running over to the man who was on a bike that looked familiar. Rosita fired at him and he was knocked off it while we all ran toward him. He had stood back up but Daryl quickly tackled him to the ground. He then started beating the shit out of him.

"Where'd you get the bike?" he demanded.

We had all reached the man and Rick clicked his pistol.

"Just do it! Like you did everyone else, right?" the man shouted.

"Lower your gun, prick," a woman's voice emerged from the walkie-talkie next to the man.

"The hell?" I asked.

"You with the Colt Python. All of you lower your weapons right now," the woman continued.

I looked around. There were about a thousand places this woman could be watching us from. Not one in particular that I could tell. Rick picked up the walkie-talkie from the ground.

"Come on out. Let's talk," Rick said into the walkie.

"We're not coming out, but we will talk. We've got a Carol and a Maggie. I'm thinking that's something you want to chat about," the woman said.

"No," I said.

"Now, we're gonna work this out right now and it's going to go our way," the woman continued.

"Pick him up," Rick said.

Daryl and Glenn picked the man up from the ground and aimed their guns at him.