Chapter 6

"What was that?" Rick asked me once we reached home and filed out of the cars.

"What was what?" I asked.

"I wanted to see how they'd do," he said.

"Rick, they would have died. Look, we can't expect them to know what to do. They don't, that's obvious," I said.

He looked at me.

"Hey. I'm with you. Nothing could ever change that. But you can't be making calls like that and expect us to stand by. Because that's not who we are. And I know that's not you. So I'm sorry I didn't listen to you but I just couldn't watch them die," I said.

He placed one of his hands on his hip and ran the other down his face.

"Once again...once again, you're right," he said.

"I know. I'm your Jiminy Cricket. There's no getting rid of me. Sorry," I said.

"Come here," he said.

He pulled me in for a hug.

"Wow, you're a mess. Do me a favor, get that stench and sweat off ya, all right?" I said after we parted.

He cracked a smile.

"You remind me of your mom," he said.

"She was always making jokes too huh?" I asked.

"Yeah. She knew how to break the tension. Just like you," he said.

I held onto my necklace. I was quiet for a while as I thought about her.

"I really miss her," I whispered.

He embraced me again.

"She'd be proud of you. Your dad and brother too," he said.

I sniffled.

"Seriously though, that stench, Rick," I said leaning back and wiping the tears from my eyes.

He chuckled again.

"I'm going. I'm going," he said kissing my forehead then headed to the house.

Daryl came up from behind and wrapped his arms around me. He made me jump.

"Jerk," I said.

He turned me around then quickly became concerned.

"Hey, what is it?" he asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine really. Just started thinking about my mom," I said.

He placed his fingers on my chin and made me look at him. He then leaned in and kissed me.

"God. I seriously love you," I said once we parted.

"I know," he said.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"I love you too," he said with a grin.

"Come on. Let's see what we've got to eat. I'm starving," I said taking his hand and leading him to our house.

I shouldn't have been surprised by the amount of casserole we had thanks to Carol. I could be annoyed at the fact that we were constantly having that for dinner almost every night but I was thankful to have something to eat at all.

"Amelia, I'm heading to the armory. Daryl, come with. We can see what we have to work with," Rick said coming into the kitchen and looking much cleaner.

"All right," I said.

I placed my plate in the sink and followed Rick out. Morgan had joined us along the way. As soon as Rick opened the door to the armory, I was shocked to see Carter pointing a gun at Eugene.