Chapter 10

Once we got there, Scott was sleeping and Denise was reading, 'Grey's Anatomy'.

"Denise, you haven't been formally introduced to my uncle, Rick. Rick, this is Denise. She's going to be the new doctor around here," I said.

"Well it's nice to meet you," Rick said holding out his other hand.

She shook it.

"You need me to look at that?" she asked.

I handed her his hand and she looked it over.

"How'd it happen?" she asked.

"Taking out a walker. My hand slipped from the grip of my machete. Caught the blade," he said.

"Well, luckily it wasn't anything worse. Some ointment and a bandage will help it heal quicker," she said.

"I'll get the bandage," I said turning around and opening a drawer nearby.

Denise had cleaned Rick's wound. She placed the ointment on his hand and I wrapped it up afterwards.

"Thank you. The both of you," he said once we had finished.

"You're welcome," Denise said.

"Well, Denise. We'll let you get back to it. We appreciate you being here," I said.

She half smiled then Rick and I left. We had both caught sight of Jessie heading over to the space where we buried our fallen.

"Go on," I said.

"What?" he asked.

"Rick, I know you want to go and check on her too. I'll go check on Carl. You care about her. Go on, smooth operator," I said.

"We've got other things to worry about," he retorted.

"I know. That doesn't mean you can't try," I said.

He eyed me.

"Fine. Be careful," he said.

"Always am. Later," I said kissing him on the cheek.

I headed toward the direction I had seen Carl head to when we left the meeting. As I turned the corner, I didn't know what to make of the scene that was in front of me. Ron was on the ground and Carl was glaring at him. He then turned and caught sight of me. I walked over to him and he did the same.

"Should I be concerned?" I asked once we were within earshot.

"I just...its Enid," he replied.

"What about her?" I asked.

"I think she went over the wall before the herd came," he said.

"What? Are you sure? How do you know?" I said full of concern.

"When the attack started, she came in and said that she wanted to say 'Goodbye'. After it was all over, I couldn't find her anywhere in the house. All she left was a note," he answered.

"What did it say?" I asked.

"It was three words. 'Just Survive Somehow'. That's when I knew that she must have gone over the wall. I know she can take care of herself. Doesn't mean I'm not worried about her. I asked Ron to help me go and find her but he didn't want to," he said.

"You are not going out there," I said.

"But if she's out there alone," he began.

"Carl. It's out of the question. That herd of walkers is what we need to concern ourselves with. And I'd feel a hell of a lot better knowing that you are safe here," I said.