Chapter 1

"And that's everything," I finished.

He was quiet.

"Daryl?" I asked looking at him.

The whole time I'd been telling him everything that happened while he was away, I was looking down. When I started to talk about Noah, I shed a few tears.

"I should have been here. I should have been here with you," he whispered.

"Hey, you were doing your part out there. I wanted you here with me so badly. But then I remembered all the good you were doing so that helped a little," I said.

He wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm sorry we didn't come back sooner," he said.

We parted and I looked at him.

"You're back now. That's what matters. I'm glad to have you back. I really missed you, Dixon," I said.

He leaned in and kissed me.

"We almost didn't make it back, you know," he said once we parted.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"We came across these trucks. Thought they had food in them. Turns out, it was a trap. Them trucks were filled with walkers. We got to a car that was there and were gonna wait them out. But bad people had set up the trap and were gonna come back. We couldn't stay. So, I was going to go out and distract them while Aaron made a run for the fence," he said.

"Aaron didn't let you do that. Did he?" I asked looking at him.

"Nah. Said we'd do it together. That we'd fight. Then when we were about to head out, that guy, Morgan came and helped us," he finished.

I leaned in and kissed him again. How I'd missed those lips of his.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"You'd sacrifice your life for someone else's. That Daryl Dixon, is what makes you a remarkable human being. I would have been distraught of course if Aaron had showed up without you. Maybe even gone mad. But at least I'd know it wasn't for nothing. You're here, though. And I am extremely happy that you are. Which sucks," I said.

He leaned back to get a good look at me.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I know now that I can't lose you," I said a little softer.

"I couldn't lose you. You could lose me," he said moving my hair behind my ear.

"No. I couldn't. Just you saying you almost didn't make it back...the thought of something happening to you..." I trailed off.

He pulled me closer.

"I'm here," he said our foreheads touching.

"I know. And I'm gonna make sure you stay here. With me. With us. Because truth is, we need you. I need you," I said.

He gently placed his fingers on my chin and lifted my head to look into his blue eyes. He wiped away the single tear that had fallen. He leaned in and I leaned back. He kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck. He started moving his hand up my shirt when there was a sudden knock on the door.

"You gotta be kidding me," Daryl whispered.

"Daryl. Amelia. Will the two of you come downstairs please?" Rick asked.

"Come on. It could be important," I said sitting up and grabbing his hand.

"All right," he said unenthusiastically.