Chapter 9

When we got inside, a woman I didn't recognize was there.

"Denise. It's a gunshot," Heath said to her.

"Put him over here," she said.

"So you're the new doctor?" I asked her.

"I guess so," she said.

"Glad to have you here. Work your magic," I said.

She half smiled and focused her attention on Scott.

"I gotta find Maggie," Michonne said.

"Why?" I asked the knot in my stomach turning even more.

"It's Glenn," she said.

"Is he okay? Is...Is he dead?" I asked.

"No. I mean, I don't know. Help me find Maggie and I'll tell the both of you," she said.

I nodded and the both of us headed out. I needed to know that Glenn was okay. If anything happened to him, I'd just about lose it. If anything happened to any of our people, I'd never be the same. We found Maggie helping out with the corpses near the gate. I went ahead and helped her.

"I've got it," I said as the both of us heaved the body onto a truck bed.

"Thanks," she said.

She turned and saw Michonne.

"Everyone's back already?" she asked.

"No. Listen. There's something I need to tell you," Michonne said.

She then went ahead and told Maggie that they had to put the plan into motion. That the walkers broke free and they needed to steer them away as soon as possible. And how Glenn and the rest of the group split up to try and distract the walkers somehow.

"We came across a town nearby. It was overrun. Glenn split off with Nicholas. He had this idea that...if he lit a fire, it would stop the walkers from coming here. I tried to go instead. I wanted to. The fire never got lit. We had to keep going. I'm sorry," she told Maggie.

Rosita had joined us right when Michonne started talking about Glenn.

"I'm glad you're okay. Glenn is too. I know it," I said.

"He said if he got stuck, he would find a way to send us a signal," Michonne continued.

"A signal?" Maggie asked.

"Looks like we'll have to wait for that signal," I said.

"Open the gate!" I heard coming from outside the walls.

"Was that...was that Rick?" I asked.

"Open the gate!" he said again.

"That's Rick!" I shouted.

I ran over to the gate and quickly got it opened.

"RICK!" I screamed.

There was a herd closing in on him. We made way for him and shut the gates as fast as possible. The walkers were here. They had found their way to us.

"Rick. Thank God," I said helping him off the ground and embracing him tightly.

He was drenched but I didn't care.

"Carl? Judith?" he asked when we parted.

"They're okay," I said.

"I'm really glad you didn't go," he said trying to catch his breath at the same time.

"Did you run all the way over here?" I asked.

He just nodded.

"Come on. Let's get you some water," I said.