Chapter 24

We had finally reached the RV.

"All right. How the hell are we gonna get this thing out of the mud?" I asked looking at it.

"Find some gravel. Create traction so we can get this hunk of metal going," Abraham said.

"Okay. Sounds simple enough," I said.

We all moved away from the RV and searched along the grassy areas. The gravel wasn't hard to find. Once we had found a suitable amount, we made our way back to the RV.

"Amelia, go inside and start it up. When we give the signal, hit the gas," Daryl said.

I nodded. He handed me the keys and I went into the RV. I placed the key into the ignition and the engine roared to life. Daryl and Abraham were on one side of the RV while Cal and the other man were on the other. I waited there for a few minutes. I looked out the windshield and started to think about all that Jesus had told us. About these so called Saviors. About what they had done to his community. They beat a kid to death just to teach them a lesson. How screwed up was that? These guys needed to go. It could easily have been any one of my family members. These Saviors, they all needed to pay. I was ready to take them down. I was not going to let something like that happen to anyone I love. I was not going to wait for them to come knocking on our door. I was ready to fight for survival. Abraham suddenly knocked on the window which startled me out of my daze.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Give it some gas," he said.

I put the RV in drive and pressed the gas. It stalled for a bit but it eventually started to move again. I drove away from the patch of mud.

"Yes! All right. Everyone back inside!" I shouted, stopping the RV for them.

The door opened up and they all filed in.

"I can take it from here," Abraham said making his way to the front of the RV.

"I got it. It ain't rocket science. Take a seat, Sergeant Ford," I said.

He started chuckling.

"You got it, Ms. Sanchez," he said.

He, Cal and the other man whose name I found out was Eduardo, took a seat behind me. Daryl came and took the passenger's seat.

"Stubborn as hell. He should know that by now," he whispered.

"I think he's finally catching on. Now, let's get back," I said.

I drove us all back to the gates. Cal and Eduardo got down to open them up. I drove further inside and parked next to the trailers. Daryl, Abraham and I got out and made our way back to the house. Right when we were about to head inside, the doors opened up and our group walked out.

"Everything go okay?" I asked.

"We have a deal," Maggie said.

"Hell yeah. I knew you had it in you," I said.

"We're gonna eat well tonight because of Maggie," Rick said.

"Is that so?" I asked.

"Yup. We're getting half of what they have right now. I'll be back. Glenn and I got something we need to do," she said taking hold of Glenn's hand.

"Everything all right?" I asked.

"Everything is good, Amelia. I swear," Glenn said placing his hand on my shoulder.

I nodded and watched them take off toward the trailers. The rest of us went ahead and carried crates of food to the RV. We would have fresh vegetables for the first time since the prison. We were also getting butter, eggs and even milk. I had given up on ever being able to use any of those ingredients again. I was so relieved. Rick had Daryl and Abraham get the guy whose arm Daryl broke.

"The hell we need him for?" Daryl asked before they took off.

"He's been in Negan's place. He could tell us what we can expect," Rick replied.

"All right. Better than nothing I guess," Daryl said and then took off.

We were almost done with loading everything up.

"Even Negan didn't get this much upfront," Jesus said putting another bag inside.

Daryl and Abraham had made their way back with the guy. Rick went over to them. I continued helping with the food. The guy made his way to the RV then went inside.

"What's going on?" I asked Daryl.

"Guy's coming with," he answered.

"Why?" I asked.

"Intel. On Negan's compound," Abraham answered.

"Well why can't he just tell us? Why do we have to bring him along?" I asked.

"There's a plan. Rick says it involves him. He'll let us know once we get back home," Daryl said.

"Fine. I'm not sitting next to him though," I said.

He smirked. He then grabbed hold of my hand and led me inside. Daryl took a seat and sat me on his lap. Jesus made his way inside as well. Daryl groaned loud enough for Jesus to hear. He didn't do or say anything but I was sure that he knew that that groan of annoyance, was toward him.

"What?" I asked.

"Guy annoys the hell out of me," he said.

"He's okay. I've seen enough. At least he's helping us. Lighten up," I said.

He placed his hand on my cheek.

"Fine. But only 'cause you said." he retorted.

I leaned in and gave him a kiss.

"Thank you," I whispered once we parted.

We waited for everyone else to make it back. After a few more minutes, everyone was in. We were just waiting on Glenn and Maggie. Once, they came in, we headed home. I rested my head on Daryl's shoulder. Not long afterwards, someone gently tapped me on the shoulder. I picked my head up and turned to my left. Michonne was handing me a piece of paper. I grabbed it and looked it over. It was a sonogram. That's where Glenn and Maggie had gone. I looked at the both of them and smiled widely. They both smiled back. I handed it to Daryl. He looked at it and half smirked. He then handed it to Abraham. I wrapped my arms around Daryl and kissed his forehead. He wrapped his arms tighter around me. Maggie and Glenn's baby. Something else to fight for. Something else worth fighting for. And I was ready to fight. For all of us.